Default snow storm dakotas

i see on the news a major storm hit the dakotas. how many of have to go dig your hives out of a snow bank. and how many of you are lucky enuff to have them south already....best of luck..

Default Re: snow storm dakotas

South? Heck we don't even have all of our honey off yet. Fortunately for us the snow accumulations are in the western parts of the state. Forecast looks good for next week though. One more really good week and the 3 month extracting siege will be just a memory.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Honey Hive Farms.

Brrrrr, going to be a crazy winter isn't it??

Tim Moore
    Honey Hive Farms "Saving the world one bee at a time"
    www.HoneyHiveFarms.com

We were spared most of the snow here in Bismarck, a little snow but mostly rain (over 2.5"), but it is a very fine line. I've got two yards west of Mandan (5 miles west) that I couldn't get to because of about 5 inches of snow (for those of you that don't know, 2 wheel drive 1 tons are WORTHLESS in snow/mud, lol). Should be able to get to them this week though as temps are supposed to be in the 60s this week. 100 miles to the southwest got 2 feet of snow!
    Gregg Stewart

An update for the many across the country who may not have heard as the severity of the recent blizzard in western South Dakota has gotten scant national media attention.
    http://rapidcityjournal.com/photos/c...bc39936.html#0
    Its already being referred to as one of the worst blizzards in the states history. Coming right after an extended period of warm weather, the livestock hadn't had a chance to grow their winter coat and were almost all still spread across the countryside in summer pasture. The magnitude of the losses is still being assessed as the snow begins to melt. It's pretty sad, many of these ranches have lost nearly their entire heards.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Jim,

Not to be insensitive to the plight of the cattle industry, which appears to have taken a terrible hit, but how did the hives, both local and those sent for honey share crop survive?
    I just returned from Bismarck last Tuesday. Thank God, most of the hives made it back to California or Texas.
    Curious as to how this may affect the Almond Pollination rates.

Hey Gregg Hope you are doing well.

Steve
    California Almond Pollination Services, Inc.
    http://www.almondbeepollination.com

Deleted, bad link
    Last edited by irwin harlton; 10-10-2013 at 06:15 AM. Reason: BAD LINK

Quote Originally Posted by Shouse View Post
    Jim,

Not to be insensitive to the plight of the cattle industry, which appears to have taken a terrible hit, but how did the hives, both local and those sent for honey share crop survive?
    I just returned from Bismarck last Tuesday. Thank God, most of the hives made it back to California or Texas.
    Curious as to how this may affect the Almond Pollination rates.

Hey Gregg Hope you are doing well.

Steve
    I haven't heard any reports. No doubt many hives were in harms way but, coming off the severe drought of 2012, there wasn't a lot of clover bloom out west hence I wouldn't expect a lot of bees to have been out there aside from irrigated valleys. Hives that have even a little protection usually get covered with snow pretty quickly and fare pretty well while those exposed to the winds could easily be lost. Perhaps someone else with some first hand info could tell us a bit more.

terrible cattle herd losses, terrible. I feel for those ranchers
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

i want to hear from the stahlmans. dont they run most of their bees in western southdakota. maybe im wrong. but if so they must be having a hell of a time. lets see some pics of hives in snow banks!! cant wait to go ice fishing. wish winter was here!!!