Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Hefty Storage Bins - good or bad?

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    If others in your area have AFB, how are your bees going to get AFB from someone elses bees coming to rob your empty honey supers? Below low risk.
    From " The beebook by Warhurst and Goebel" pg 188 - How AFB spreads: AFB is spread in four main ways: drift, robbing, feeding back honey and/or pollen, and using contaminated equipment.

pg 189: Never feed cappings honey or extracted honey back to bees....

I understand that in the US some beekeepers " mask" AFB by the use of antibiotics. Cappings from treated hives may not display AFB symptoms but are still able to spread AFB.
    from the Bee House -http://ecologicalsolutions.com.au/bees/?page_id=8
    40 years - +/- 20 H - TF - Subtropical

The frequency of which would be the reverse order. Buying of and using contaminated equipment being the highest likelihood of exposure.

Certainly if your bees rob honey from an infected hive the chances of your bees coming down w/ AFB is good, but how does your colony get infected w/ AFB by robbing honey from it's own extracted combs if you don't have AFB already? That was my point.

I may be wrong, but I thought we were talking about someone setting their own combs out to be robbed, not someone elses.

Yes, some people do use antibiotics against AFB. It is not w/ the intent of masking anything. No more than you or I getting vacanated to prevent coming down w/ polio.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

"
    Certainly if your bees rob honey from an infected hive the chances of your bees coming down w/ AFB is good, but how does your colony get infected w/ AFB by robbing honey from it's own extracted combs if you don't have AFB already? That was my point.

I may be wrong, but I thought we were talking about someone setting their own combs out to be robbed, not someone elses. '

There is no guarantee that the only bees having a feed are from your own hive. It is called " the hand shake principle" - like getting a cold on a train by mixing with a crowd.

"Yes, some people do use antibiotics against AFB. It is not w/ the intent of masking anything. No more than you or I getting vacanated to prevent coming down w/ polio."

The intent is not to mask but the outcome is the same. Antibiotics will only last for a year or so and will never cure AFB. The result us that AFB is not visible but it is there.

The bottom line is surely that in any area where AFB is present to feed honey in the open is not worth the risk.
    from the Bee House -http://ecologicalsolutions.com.au/bees/?page_id=8
    40 years - +/- 20 H - TF - Subtropical

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12