Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hefty Storage Bins - good or bad?

First, If this is not in the correct place, please move it for me.
    Looking for some advise. The frames I extracted this year, I left out for the bees to clean.
    When they were done I froze the frames for a couple days then placed in plastic hefty bins.
    Is this a good idea or not? They seal tight enough that nothing can get into them. I just dont know if it is good long term?
    Any suggestions or thoughts would be great
    Thanks Tom

Tom
    Tater Road Apiary

Default Re: Hefty Storage Bins - good or bad?

i'm doing the same thing. i guess we'll find out in the spring how it worked out

I don't know why you froze frames that bees had cleaned after you extracted. If you were concerned about wax moth larvae or SHB larvae it seems to me that there shouldn't have been any because you would have seen them when you extracted.

What are you doing w/ your empty supers? Why aren't you storing your frames in the supers they came from?

I don't see anything wrong w/ what you did. I just don't understand why you did it. Please explain it to me. I stack my extracted supers on wearhouse pallets and cover the stack w/ a tarp and leave them outdoors.
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

I store mine in a similar way, however after freezing I place mine in XXL zip lock bags. The zip lock will hold at least a full medium super of frames. The storage bins (totes) stack nice and neat in the barn. Then I just stack the empty boxes anywhere that is out of the elements.

Thanks for the replies

Being new to keeping bees, I didn’t want to take any unnecessary chances.
    Plus right now, I don’t have any place to keep them in the dry and away from critters.
    Most everything I have read said to keep them in a dark plastic bag. But if the air tight bin is not going to cause a problem I prefer them. Easy to stack and store and don’t have to worry about ants or moths.
    Thanks Tom
    Tom
    Tater Road Apiary

Will the frames grow mold in the sealed container?

Quote Originally Posted by ericweller View Post
    Will the frames grow mold in the sealed container?
    None of the ones that I have stored as described have molded. But I put them back on the hive above the inner cover to get them clean good first

Same here, going on 3 months in the containers and no signs of molding.

You can do that and I have done it in the past. Now, I extract...let the bees clean them up...spray with BT and stack in the barn. It's quicker and cheaper.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

In my zone wax moth larvae do not attack extracting combs that have not been used for brood. They attack brood combs with pollen. I store my honey supers in a fairly well sealed room with no other protection. I avoid the expense of specialty items when standard hive parts can be used.

I had a similar question of how to store my extracted frames. I let the bees clean them up and then I stacked the mediums on a piece of plywood and put an outer cover and hive strapped them. It is already getting cold in the North East and I thought this would work for storage in the winter. Really don't have room in the garage or basement. I was told that when I use them again in the spring, the bees would clean out anything that was left. Any other thoughts on this?

"The frames I extracted this year, I left out for the bees to clean."
    Leving frames out for the bees to clean is never a good idea - the quickest way to spread AFB etc and to encourage robbing
    from the Bee House -http://ecologicalsolutions.com.au/bees/?page_id=8
    40 years - +/- 20 H - TF - Subtropical

You did well letting the bees clean up the frames and by freezing them you made sure that you took care of the wax moths.Wax moths are very desructive and do create a lot of damage.I would say you were right on the money with your prep and storage.
    www.poorvalleybeefarm.com

Max2-Guess I worded it that badly."The frames I extracted this year, I left out for the bees to clean." I put the supers back on the hive for the bees to clean. They cleaned them out and I wanted to know the best way to store. Plastic bags just tell me moisture and mold. I also do not put chemicals on my hives. With winter coming I was under the assumption that the freezing temps would kill the moth and larva. True or Not True? jrhoto seems to think that is true?

Zelda,
    I know that there are a lot of folks who don't live where I do, so maybe they don't have a place where they can do what I do, but I stack my supers on a wearhouse pallet and leave them outdoors where they get robbed by bees and yellow jackets. I cover them w/ a blue plastic tarp.

Being honey supers, meaning they rarely have any brood reared in them and more rarely any pollen stored in them, it is quite rare for waxmoth damage to occur.

If you consider doingh something similar you might want to place a queen excluder down on the pallet before you stack supers on it. and have a good cover in the top of each stack. Doing so would minimize damage from mice.

If you don't have an AFB problem, setting supers out to be cleaned out by your bees is not a dangerous practice.

I have seen people set supers back on hives above an inner cover so their bees can clean them out. Seems like extra handling to me. I guess it could minimize the instigation of robbing w/in the yard. But I haven't noticed that to be a problem for my hives.

Hefty Storage Bins might be the best thing for some folks, but not for me. Keep the frames in their boxes. But that's just me. I have 500 colonies. Bin storage wouldn't be practical.
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

Just a note here although it has more to do with pests than equipment / hardware. In my experience, wax moths are looking to get into brood comb. However, with a heavy infestation all bets are off and I've had them destroy honey comb and even get into foundation to an extent. I even have the little "grooves" from them etched into the barn floor where an infested super was sitting. I guess my point is that you can't always feel safe if all you're storing is honeycomb. "Safer" maybe, but not immune.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

A waste of good money. But them back in there supers.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by ZeldaFarmer View Post
    Max2-Guess I worded it that badly."The frames I extracted this year, I left out for the bees to clean." I put the supers back on the hive for the bees to clean. They cleaned them out and I wanted to know the best way to store. Plastic bags just tell me moisture and mold. I also do not put chemicals on my hives. With winter coming I was under the assumption that the freezing temps would kill the moth and larva. True or Not True? jrhoto seems to think that is true?
    Thanks for the clarification. I'm always concerned to read beekeepers exposing their bees to AFB and other diseases which are easily transferred via honey

"
    If you don't have an AFB problem, setting supers out to be cleaned out by your bees is not a dangerous practice."

A bold statement! IF you and OTHERS in the area don't have AFB . Is it really worth the risk?

If others in your area have AFB, how are your bees going to get AFB from someone elses bees coming to rob your empty honey supers? Below low risk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast