Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: How many hive can fit in a 1 acre bee yard

Okay.

So, how many beehives are you going to put on your one acre. And when?
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

allan,

I like your question. And I, for one, hope you don't stop asking them.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Allan, a suggestion ....

Why don't you ask Mark, i.e. sqkcrk, how many hives HE has in one of his average bee yards, one acre or otherwise?
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

I have fifty on a 100X130' lot and it could fit and support a lot more. The San Francisco bay is 1/2 mile one direction and irrigated suburban gardens as far as a bee can fly all other directions. I could probably easily support 200 there. Maybe 500.

Hey Allan, we are almost neighbors, Welcome to Beesource!
    Don't take these guys quite so serious, they do challenge our questions and make us question our questions, and sometimes help us the realize what we are really asking, or what they want us to ask...
    Take it all with a grain of salt, this is a great site, there is a lot of knowledge here and these guys usually willfully share what they know and save us question askers lots of time and mistakes. Don't be afraid to ask. Read and learn. And I do agree, the real question may be "How many Bee's will one acre sustain?"
    Cheers!
    "Some of it's Magic, and Some if it's Tragic!" Jimmy Buffet

Quote Originally Posted by Bee Geek View Post
    the real question may be "How many Bee's will one acre sustain?"
    Cheers!
    Thanks Bee Geek.

The answer to that is, Not many. But, fortunately, like I tell owners of orchards that I pollinate, "Bees fly. You don't have to space pallets every 200 yds apart."

One acre of land will not sustain one hive. There is not the variety of food sources throughout the foraging season needed to fulfill a colonies needs. The bees one may wish to keep will not stay on your property. They will search high and low, far and wide, for what they need.

What are your plans allan, when you get some bees? Are you going to build a house on the rest of the acre not used on the bees?
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Thanks Bee Geek.

The answer to that is, Not many. But, fortunately, like I tell owners of orchards that I pollinate, "Bees fly. You don't have to space pallets every 200 yds apart."

One acre of land will not sustain one hive. There is not the variety of food sources throughout the foraging season needed to fulfill a colonies needs. The bees one may wish to keep will not stay on your property. They will search high and low, far and wide, for what they need.

What are your plans allan, when you get some bees? Are you going to build a house on the rest of the acre not used on the bees?
    ok sqkcrk here it is I live in south Alabama in the country on 3 acre my home is on 1 acre and I was going to put the bees on the acre beside the house.

I have order the bees and I will be getting them in mid-apirl and there is plenty of woods and cotton around me.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Clemens View Post
    allan,

I like your question. And I, for one, hope you don't stop asking them.
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    ok sqkcrk here it is I live in south Alabama in the country on 3 acre my home is on 1 acre and I was going to put the bees on the acre beside the house.

I have order the bees and I will be getting them in mid-apirl and there is plenty of woods and cotton around me.
    Then, if my advice is worth anything, I would suggest you start w/ two and see how you get along w/ them. And, if you then want more, grow from there to as many as you and your family can live with.

odfrank has a whole bunch of them in his back yard. I have about 40 or so 500 feet from my front door.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Then, if my advice is worth anything, I would suggest you start w/ two and see how you get along w/ them. And, if you then want more, grow from there to as many as you and your family can live with.

odfrank has a whole bunch of them in his back yard. I have about 40 or so 500 feet from my front door.
    i'm thankful for all the advice I can get sqkcrk

A lot depends on what you have within a 2 mile radius. What and when will there be something blooming. Being surrounded by nothing but clover fields is a lot different then being surrounded by corn or rice, or a Wal-Mart or another beekeeper with 500 hives or...
    California Almond Pollination Services, Inc.
    http://www.almondbeepollination.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123