Hybrid View

Default How many hive can fit in a 1 acre bee yard

I have 1 acre I can make in to a bee yard I was just wondering how many hives could fit

thanks allan
    Last edited by allan; 10-06-2013 at 09:22 AM.

Default Re: How many hive can fit in a 1 acre bee yard

alen
    what kind of forage is around?
    Any other beeyards around?
    Good luck willie
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 10-06-2013 at 03:23 PM. Reason: UNQ

Bees may forage in a radius of up to 2 miles or so. (Studies report varying numbers for forage distance.) In any case, that potential forage area encompasses at least 8,000 acres. So whether your apiary is on half an acre or 100 acres, it is the surrounding 7,900 acres that make the difference.

I'll stick my neck out and say that you may want to build up to 10 - 20 hives at one location and study what happens to average hive production as you add more hives in that same location.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

it is in the country in Alabama plenty of woods and cotton and no other beeyards that I know of
    Last edited by allan; 10-06-2013 at 09:19 AM.

As others have said, it's the forage in the 2-3 mile radius and competition you would need to look at. A beek outside of Tuscaloosa told my buddy that the hives close to wetlands and bottoms were the best producers. I suppose that is because the constant source of water allowed flowering despite dry spells. If you had a lot of clearcut, old growth and wetlands in your area i'm betting that number would get pretty high. You won't really know until you start watching their production.

Funny, I was just sharing this wish a local beek. Here's a tool that I grabbed from another post. It will help you to visualize the forage radius.

http://www.freemaptools.com/radius-around-point.htm
    “Everything will be all right in the end... if it's not all right then it's not yet the end”

One Acre is about 209ft X 209ft or 2508inch X 2508inch = 6290064 square inch
    Now a hive is 19.875 X 16.25 = 323 square inches
    Now 6290064 divided by 323 = 19473 hives could fit on one acre

Quote Originally Posted by ccar2000 View Post
    Funny, I was just sharing this wish a local beek. Here's a tool that I grabbed from another post. It will help you to visualize the forage radius.

http://www.freemaptools.com/radius-around-point.htm
    neat i never thought to do this on google earth, wow my bees have a lot more access to water than i thought, one huge lake is only 1km away and and a river and pond less than that, also i reach all the fields around me so there is far more clover than i had previously thought, next spring i need more hives i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    I have 1 acre I can make in to a bee yard I was just wondering how many hives could fit
    thanks allan
    How many do you have? How many do you want to have there? That's how many.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    thanks allan
    What are you really asking allan? Do you have any hives yet? It doesn't really matter what the answer is, you will never fill it up. A semi load of commercially run 4 way pallets of beehives could fit comfortably on an acres of land w/ space to manuver around them in order to work them. That's 408 hives, depending on what sort of semi trailer one is used to working with.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    What are you really asking allan? Do you have any hives yet? It doesn't really matter what the answer is, you will never fill it up. A semi load of commercially run 4 way pallets of beehives could fit comfortably on an acres of land w/ space to manuver around them in order to work them. That's 408 hives, depending on what sort of semi trailer one is used to working with.
    all I was asking is if 1 acres would be enough space and if there was like a limit on how many hives per acre that's all

thanks allan

A truck load (408 hives) will fit on an acre for over wintering. During the honey flow (spring/summer/fall) I would not put more than 64 hives within a 2 mile radius, and I would want 160 acres to 320 acres of Alfalfa or clover... within 400 yards and don't forget a water source.
    California Almond Pollination Services, Inc.
    http://www.almondbeepollination.com