Default bees building comb between frames and top feeder

Just recently my bees have been building heavily between their frames and their top feeder. The last couple of times I inspected I carefully scraped it off...but they built it right back. Why are they doing this and how should I go about getting them to quit it?

Default Re: bees building comb between frames and top feeder

Have you checked to see if they are running out of storage space? Usually the comb between a feeder and the top bars of the frames is caused by lack of cells to store food or because the bee space between them is incorrect. If your combs are full enough for winter then you can stop feeding and remove the feeder. If the bee space is wrong there is not much you can do about the brace comb being built except scrape it off. You need to remove all the wax from the top bars, if you let some remain the bees rapidly rebuild the brace comb.

If you are using the frames that are all plastic, the bees will build above the top bar because it is too thin and the bees want to continue the comb upward to the next support position. It helps to use wooden frames, all from the same manufacturer.

michos...It is likely ladder comb....comb they build to make it easier to get to the feed. Think "ladder", and if that fits, let them keep it. Just be cautious when removing the feeder to make sure the frames from below are detached before lifting.

My bees did that...then I put an inner cover with a central hole above the frames and the feeder above that...no more comb under the feeder
    Janne....first hives April 2013, 19 hives, treat, plant zone 8b, at sea level, latitude 49.13, longitude 123.06

Thanks for the info. They still have 3 frames left to fill so I dont think that they are running out of storage space...however the frames that are left are plasticell and they seem to HATE it so I wonder if there is any chance they are building upwards as a revolt to using the empty frames...

Great info about the "ladder comb". Its totally filled with honey and spans a 2-3 frames. Id rather them use their energy to make comb there on the empty frames...and it makes it difficult to pull frames for inspection as it breaks apart and spills honey everywhere.

I do have another inner cover with a hole in it that I could use between the deep and the feeder. Any negative side effects to doing that?

Quote Originally Posted by michos View Post
    I do have another inner cover with a hole in it that I could use between the deep and the feeder. Any negative side effects to doing that?
    No negatives, in fact you should have your inner cover between the hive and top feeder. Without the inner cover in there, you will guarantee yourself burr comb problems.

You might also want to read this recent post as it talks about this same subject in detail: http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...SONAL-DISASTER