Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tim Ives Method

Hybrid View

Default Tim Ives Method

Trying it on a few hives so thought I'd start a thread on it.

Thought that keeping the hives big and no excluder was supposed to prevent swarming but went to a yard today and found this. Had seconds, literally, to stop them leaving. It's spring here the flow has not started yet. Or at least, there has been a willow flow at this site which has finished, there is now a tiny trickle although the bees are barely pulling foundation, waiting for the main flow.

Last edited by Oldtimer; 10-05-2013 at 05:09 AM.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Default Re: Tim Ives Method

Never say never, eh OT?

what did you do to stop them from leaving ot?
    beekeeping since june 2010, +/- 20 hives, tf

I don't know about Tim Ives method but I have heard that the whole expanding space up to the flow does not work if foundation is used.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

LOL Michael.

To stop them leaving? Well it was pretty Mickey Mouse cos I was trying to stay consistent with what I understand of Tim Ives, but did what I had too which was pull it down and put all brood (which was spread through all 5 boxes) to the bottom, killed all cells I could find, put a box of foundation on & then the honey boxes, also with a smattering of brood, on top of that. So now it's 6 deeps packed with bees and the flow has not even started yet. Stopped them swarming for now but not sure how long it will work. I suspect Tim would have split them using existing swarm cells, but I didn't do that cos I don't want to breed from this particular bee.

Thinking they'll probably swarm in the next couple weeks anyway but I'll leave it & see what happens out of interest.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Soooo whatcha gonna do about treatments?
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

hopefully tim will chime in on this ot, but i thought he was only using three deeps with multiple medium supers over them.

i believe he puts foundation in the first super above the deeps, which he claims keeps the queen from going up into the supers while keeping the wax makers busy to help with swarm prevention, and once this super is drawn another super with foundation is placed in the first position above the deeps.
    beekeeping since june 2010, +/- 20 hives, tf

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    Soooo whatcha gonna do about treatments?
    They will be treated if needed. But I think that is a separate issue from the rest of the management which can be done the same other than box size.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I don't want to breed from this particular bee.
    Don't you always have the ability to kill the resulting queens? It sounds like you could have split into 6 hives and walked away.

Jim what form of birth control were you thinking as a treatment?
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Thinking they'll probably swarm in the next couple weeks anyway but I'll leave it & see what happens out of interest.
    hmmm, your telling me that the use of foundation does not stop the bees swarming instinct?!??
    Perhaps Tim can elaborate further on how exactly he uses the foundation to stop this natural instinct.

Nice looking hive's Oldtimer, I love that your work schedule is exactly the opposite of ours. We are just tucking away for winter here, your just getting going! Cheers
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    hmmm, your telling me that the use of foundation does not stop the bees swarming instinct?!??
    My own opinion is that foundation correctly used in conjunction with a flow can slow bees from swarming cos it gives them something else to do. But if there's no flow it can cause swarming cos the bees won't use it and get jammed up in the non foundation part of the hive, in that situation drawn comb would be more effective.

But I'm not Tim he might have some totally different idea.

Nice looking! Thats a boomer.

This winter im trying the same on a few hives, except 1-2 shallow or mediums ontop of double depps. I plan on splitting out a few 2-3 frame nucs just before swarm season starts. Also hanging swarm boxes all over the property in spring to catch the inevitable. Very interested to hear your results.

Keep us posted on your results Oldtimer. I'm not familier with the Tim Ives method, but will need some options for dealing with very large hives. Curious to see how big these hives would get in one season, I've ended up with 33 hives that are four deeps high or taller. It is fall here in my area, and as you can see, I am starting my winter preperations.
    All of these hives are second or third year colonies, 2012 or 2013 queens by natural supercedure. I havn't gotten into them for a long time due to their size. Finding the queen now would be impossible.
    No swarming this year due to aggressive checkerboarding well before the flow with empty drawn comb on rite cell foundation, (thank you Walt). All are so freekin heavy I can't begin to lift one side. Surely next spring, I will have to deal with these in some mannor and I'd better not wait too long to do it.

Since I am overwintering 40+ premium queens in their mating nucs, I will have the queens and resources to make early nucs if all goes well.

I'll be looking up Tim's method of tower hives. Looks interesting.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mille...56954971040510
    Last edited by Lauri; 10-06-2013 at 07:23 AM.

LOL Michael.

To stop them leaving? Well it was pretty Mickey Mouse cos I was trying to stay consistent with what I understand of Tim Ives, but did what I had too which was pull it down and put all brood (which was spread through all 5 boxes) to the bottom, killed all cells I could find, put a box of foundation on & then the honey boxes, also with a smattering of brood, on top of that. So now it's 6 deeps packed with bees and the flow has not even started yet. Stopped them swarming for now but not sure how long it will work. I suspect Tim would have split them using existing swarm cells, but I didn't do that cos I don't want to breed from this particular bee.

I would suggest you remove the existing queen to a box of her own. And prevent these bees from making a queen. this sounds exactly like what I did last spring with a method similar to all this and they swarmed leaving the parent colony queenless.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Then why suggest I do it LOL?

Honey Hive Farms,

I like the pictures, no comment on the foundation, etc.

NICE

Tim Moore
    Honey Hive Farms "Saving the world one bee at a time"
    www.HoneyHiveFarms.com

Had seconds, literally, to stop them leaving.
    How did you stop them? I could be all wrong on this but I think "big" is one of the criteria that encourages them to swarm.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

What was in them before winter? Packed with honey?
    5Y-25H-T-Z6b-0 winter losses in '14

Quote Originally Posted by David LaFerney View Post
    What was in them before winter? Packed with honey?
    They were just the same as the other hives I took 4 or so deeps off them last season. But to convert them to what I understand of the Tim Ives method I gave them 3 boxes to winter in with 2 plus of those full of honey.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Y View Post
    Ian, So are you saying that bees will swarm if a certain population is reached?
    Plenty of variables,
    What do you think??
    Ill keep hives with huge populations during the production season but need to closely maintain population control throughout the spring building season.
    We all can talk about how this swarming instinct can be overcome, until we actually try it, then they will swarm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast