Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Stingless bees from Philippines

Thanks for sharing your story @Kidbeeyoz. I didn't know you have stingless bees in the US! Are these bees native in your place? What species do you have now?

No I am in Australia. We have species of Tetragonula here.

Quote Originally Posted by Kidbeeyoz View Post
    No I am in Australia. We have species of Tetragonula here.
    Oh sorry! I wasn't able to read your location. Is it the carbonaria specie? Your carbanoria is very similar to our biroi specie. Actually, I've been using a lot of australian articles about stingless bees since limited research were made in our country.

Mainly T Carbonaria and T Hockingsi in my area.

Maybe you would like to join our Native Bee Forum where a lot of interesting things get discussed. This is the link and my postings are under kidbeey

http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ANBees/info

The best Stingless Bee Book in Australia has been written by one of the forum members.

Mainly T Carbonaria and T Hockingsi in my area.

Maybe you would like to join our Native Bee Forum where a lot of interesting things get discussed. This is the link and my postings are under kidbeey

http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ANBees/info

The best Stingless Bee Book in Australia has been written by one of the forum members.
    This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for sharing the link! I work mainly with stingless bees and hope to find a lot of information there.

sir apo, uplb bee program told me that i cannot sell biroi species in area were there is no sightings of biroi species.. reason is it may dominate other stingless bees.

Quote Originally Posted by Apo Mariano View Post
    This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for sharing the link! I work mainly with stingless bees and hope to find a lot of information there.
    Apo, have you joined our Yahoo group yet? If you have, post some photos of your hives and introduce yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin Manila View Post
    sir apo, uplb bee program told me that i cannot sell biroi species in area were there is no sightings of biroi species.. reason is it may dominate other stingless bees.
    Hi Marvin, that is very much understandable.I guess I'll just have to focus on T. laeviceps since it is very abundant here.

I just can't understand the reason why UPLB is also raising european bees. Won't it affect our native species too? Just a thought!

Apo, have you joined our Yahoo group yet? If you have, post some photos of your hives and introduce yourself.
    Hi Kidbeeyoz! Yup, I have joined already. Currently, I've just been lurking around the group. I will try to post some of my bees soon.

ah.. nice question.. European bees or apis mellifera are imported bees that cannot survive alone in our climate plus the possibility of this specie to be invasive is 0, because it cant reproduce on thier own, if there is a chance that the queen will be mated it wont last, she will just lay eggs for 1-3 mo then it will fail, another thing is our native apis cerana formely known here as laywan/ligwan are far more aggressive and invasive.

ah.. nice question.. European bees or apis mellifera are imported bees that cannot survive alone in our climate plus the possibility of this specie to be invasive is 0, because it cant reproduce on thier own, if there is a chance that the queen will be mated it wont last, she will just lay eggs for 1-3 mo then it will fail, another thing is our native apis cerana formely known here as laywan/ligwan are far more aggressive and invasive.
    Very informative answer Marvin. Thanks! But I guess with the introduction of this imported bees, we still can't take out the possibility of competition in terms of food sources which may affect our native species in the long run.

I assume they that they are not limiting the number of hives a beekeeper can have, right? So a beekeeper could have hundreds of imported bee colonies. I think it would surely disrupt the ecosystem of our native bee species.

Stingless bee ready to land

Guard bees on duty

Marvin, here's another good reason why we need to reconsider bringing in imported honeybees to our country. It has he potential to wipe-out our native bee species.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...ators-disease/

about foraging, still, nothing beats the cerana, if you head, cerana is considered as a pest in Australia, because they are so invasive, thats how strong they are..
    about the about disease, yes its true, it might affect our native bees, thats why uplb bee program are encouraging beekeepers and future beekeepers to use our own native species.. see link.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdimjATgqo0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrdFdk2bAAQ

Honeyflow

Quote Originally Posted by Apo Mariano View Post
    Thanks for sharing your story @Kidbeeyoz. I didn't know you have stingless bees in the US! Are these bees native in your place? What species do you have now?
    Hi Apo,

There are no stingless bees in the continental USA, not even in FL

Quote Originally Posted by kalim1998 View Post
    Hi Apo,

There are no stingless bees in the continental USA, not even in FL
    yeah they are tropical species.

Here is a pic of my new queen.

14590881371_2b10bef76f.jpg

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123