Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Stingless bees from Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by Apo Mariano View Post
    Where is your mentors farm? I'm also interested in keeping european bees. Hopefully, you could share your experiences and techniques.

By the way, my bees are just in my backyard currently and not in the farm. Soon, I will be relocating it so I could have many hives including honeybees.

Right now I'm trying to learn how to process propolis or where I could sell them in the future.

I have not yet heard about the bees having two queens. But now that you've shared it, I'll try to observed my hive.

do you have bees now?

its in lupon ,davao oriental...they are actually conducting trainings to those interested in keeping honeybees...i am really so interested in learning how to take care of KIyUt..maybe you can recommend some books specific to this specie?if u dont mind..

i Could ask my mentor if there is a market in propolis then il tell you if what is his answer..
    i heard Kiyut propolis is much expensive than mellifera, twice the price they said..

Quote Originally Posted by paul24 View Post
    its in lupon ,davao oriental...they are actually conducting trainings to those interested in keeping honeybees...i am really so interested in learning how to take care of KIyUt..maybe you can recommend some books specific to this specie?if u dont mind..

i Could ask my mentor if there is a market in propolis then il tell you if what is his answer..
    i heard Kiyut propolis is much expensive than mellifera, twice the price they said..
    You can try ordering a book from UPLB. I have tried asking them of the price, it's about 400 pesos plus shipping fee. I really didn't have any books in me, I just read about stingless bees in the internet. They are fairly easy to take care of, I now actually have 4 colonies. What you could learn from the book from UPLB is the processing of the propolis and honey. Right now, I'm still in the process of multiplying my hive so I'm in no hurry to buy the book just yet.

I'm tempted to raise Apis mellifera but I really want to go all natural. So, right now I'm now in the process of capturing my very first Apis cerana swarm.

After talking to an expert in Philippine stingless bee (E.J. Robberts), I've found out that I have two different species of stingless bees. The one I bought from Luzon, Philippines was Trigona Biroi Friese while the local (Mindanao, Philippines) bee is said to be Tetragonula Laeviceps.

Here are the key differences I've observed so far:

1. Hive Entrance

Biroi - Guard bees are scattered on the entrance.

Laeviceps - guard bees guard the hole entrance and does not come out.
    - propolis in the entrance are intentionally covered with moss for reasons I still don't know.

2. Egg arrangement

Biroi - eggs arranged in pyramidal form and covered with wax/propolis.

Laeviceps - eggs arranged in a mesh structure with web-like propolis to hold it in place.

woow..so nice im currently hunting my own bees right now hehehe
    theres a slot in bee training in my mentors farm the trainees they accepting are just limited if you want i can hook you up with him...
    thanks for all the knowledgeable info apo...

woow..so nice im currently hunting my own bees right now hehehe
    theres a slot in bee training in my mentors farm the trainees they accepting are just limited if you want i can hook you up with him...
    thanks for all the knowledgeable info apo...
    It's easy to find stingless bees. They are almost everywhere, even in your backyard. The one you might probably find is the tetragonula laeviceps.

Is the training still in Davao Oriental? There is a free seminar in January sponsored by the Department of Agriculture and the speaker is the owner of Milea Bee farm in Davao City.

hi sir i am new here.
    i am also a beekeeper. caught 18 trigona colonies last Wednesday just wondering how much did you pay for your two colonies?

sir apo, have you attended the beekeeping seminar at uplb? your name sounds familiar.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi marvin! Good to have a fellow kababayan here. That's a lot of colonies you captured in a day. Just be careful not to take all of them out in the wild. Where did you put all your 18 colonies? I haven't been to any seminars yet. I just study and research online.

i havent transfer it yet, i just wrap it with banana leaves to cover the parts that are xposed.

It's easy to find stingless bees. They are almost everywhere, even in your backyard. The one you might probably find is the tetragonula laeviceps.

Is the training still in Davao Oriental? There is a free seminar in January sponsored by the Department of Agriculture and the speaker is the owner of Milea Bee farm in Davao City.
    After talking to an expert in Philippine stingless bee (E.J. Robberts), I've found out that I have two different species of stingless bees. The one I bought from Luzon, Philippines was Trigona Biroi Friese while the local (Mindanao, Philippines) bee is said to be Tetragonula Laeviceps.

Here are the key differences I've observed so far:

1. Hive Entrance

Biroi - Guard bees are scattered on the entrance.

Laeviceps - guard bees guard the hole entrance and does not come out.
    - propolis in the entrance are intentionally covered with moss for reasons I still don't know.

2. Egg arrangement

Biroi - eggs arranged in pyramidal form and covered with wax/propolis.

Laeviceps - eggs arranged in a mesh structure with web-like propolis to Ihold it in place.
    I

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin Manila View Post
    i havent transfer it yet, i just wrap it with banana leaves to cover the parts that are xposed.
    Are you planning to sell it? I am looking to expand my colony of the biroi specie.

and when is that apo??
    yes still in davao oriental...theres a bee farm in there specifically ORIENTAL BEE FARM..

and when is that apo??
    yes still in davao oriental...theres a bee farm in there specifically ORIENTAL BEE FARM..
    I still don't have the exact date. Please PM me your contact number so I could txt you.

Honey pots from my tetragonula laeviceps.

yes.. i just dont know the quarantine and shipping procedure. ill ask my sister..
    try researching on stingless be at bicol, specially the Balay Buhay sa Uma.

Thanks for the info Marvin! They're still not selling colonies as of this moment.

just PM u my contact number apo..
    BTW my mentor just received his Kiyuts from luzon through LBC... il ask him where did he brought it..
    i think he pays 5k including the shipping ..

apo how can u harvest the honey and pollen??
    i found some teqs in the net on how to harvest the honey but none on the pollen
    any ideas??
    thank you apo

just PM u my contact number apo..
    BTW my mentor just received his Kiyuts from luzon through LBC... il ask him where did he brought it..
    i think he pays 5k including the shipping ..
    Hi paul! I still didn't get any info about the seminar. I hope it pushes through. I'll text you as soon as I get confirmation.

How many colonies did he bought? maybe it's the tetragonula biroi specie since it came from luzon. Do you already have your colonies too?

apo how can u harvest the honey and pollen??
    i found some teqs in the net on how to harvest the honey but none on the pollen
    any ideas??
    thank you apo
    The pollen, you will have to take it out manually. Meaning, you have to scoop each pollen pots before pressing and straining the honeypots. That is just my idea paul, the best way to know is to attend the seminar. Techniques about stingless bee keeping will be taught there.

We had a very hot day recently- the wind blew the hot air on to us from the desert. In my area it was 42C or 107F and hotter in some other parts of the state. There were a lot of losses recorded from our Stingless Bee Keepers. One guy lost 49 hives out of 70 and they were in the shade. I put wet towels over my hives with one end in the bucket so it had a wick effect and had no fatalities.

On another note, I am quite allergic to stingless bees despite the fact they do not sting. I have had about 10,000 honeybee stings with no ill effect but the stingless bees give a nip with their mandibles when you are pulling their nest apart. Don't know what they have on their mandibles but maybe it is a type of formic acid. These days I have to put protective clothing before going near them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast