Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Stingless bees from Philippines

I just want to share my first stingless bee colonies. Hopefully they will survive!

Any beekeepers who are willing to share their knowledge about bees is most welcome.

The arrival

Waiting to fly

1st hive strong start

2nd hive trying to keep up

Default Re: Stingless bees from Philippines

Honey Hive Farms,

They are pretty small compared to the honey bees we have.
    Nice pictures

Tim Moore
    Honey Hive Farms "Saving the world one bee at a time"
    www.HoneyHiveFarms.com

Cute I saw them in Brazil. Only downside is they will only produce 500 g of Honey/year

São Bernardo do Campo, São Paulo - Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by coppermouse View Post
    Cute I saw them in Brazil. Only downside is they will only produce 500 g of Honey/year
    Maybe this species from Philippines produces only 500g, but many species in Brazil are a lot more productive. Only to mention some examples we do have:

- Manduri (melipona marginata): Up to 3 liters a year (with only 300 bees in each colony!).
    - Mandaçaia (melipona quadrifasciata): Up to 4 liters a year (600 to 800 bees per colony).
    - Yellow Uruçu (melipona Rufiventris): Up to 6 liters a year (3.000 to 5.000 bees per colony).
    - True Uruçu (melipona scutelaris): Up to 8 liters a year (3.000 to 5.000 bees per colony).
    - Tubiba (Scaptotrigona Tubiba): Up to 12 liters a year (up to 20.000 bees per colony).

Probably the stingless bee you had opportunity to see in Brazil was the Jataí (tetragonisca angustula), a species a lot smaller than the previous ones (and than the apis mellifera too), but highly adaptable and very common in most Brazilian cities, even the biggest ones. Their colonies bear up to 10.000 individuals, but being so tiny they can produce only from 0,5 to 1,5l of honey a year.

Nevertheless, its honey have a very good quality and it was one of the first species to be kept in captivity in the most populated areas of the country. But nowadays they are only kept as pets, and not for honey production.

Trying my luck in baiting a swarm of apis cerana. This hive is based on the japanese hive designed for apis cerana japonica. I hope our native bees will adapt this design.

No frames unlike the langstroth design. The wire mesh will help hold the honeycombs in place once the bees start to settle in.

Beeswax are placed inside to attract bees. It is supposed to be melted and brushed on to the walls but I got too lazy. Lemongrass are also rubbed on to the walls as bee attractant.

The top bar where the bees will attach their honeycombs.

Ready to go!

Thanks! It's true, they only store small amounts of honey. What I'm after are bee pollen and propolis. Also, they don't suffer from parasites (mites) and CCD

No stinger? How do they defend the hive?

Well they actually have stingers but it's too small and soft to actually hurt. Instead, they bite or annoy intruders by going inside your nose, ears, etc.

Here is my Do-It-Yourself Trigona pollination hive.

Here's an addition to my existing hive. This one I rescued from a local farmer who happens to believe that raising these bees is "goodluck" for gambling.

Attached Images Attached Images

Transferred to another hive.

An unexpected guest at our vegetable garden.

Apis Cerana (Asian honeybee)

Quote Originally Posted by heaflaw View Post
    Very interesting. Please keep those of us with no knowledge of these bees and methods informed.
    Thanks! We'll do our best.

when i got back to my mentors farm i will ask for a picture...

sorry my bad its a apis florea...
    that's great!
    i think i know that place ..is that in bicol???
    ive been thinking of doins the same, taking care of KIYOT..
    but i will use the coconut shell first my mentor just thought me how to split it easily using the shells..
    then when i have enough I will do the OATH method,
    there are lots of native KiYOT here..the method using the shell is great when you are trying to transfer a native KIYOT to a permanent box or just build the colony in a progressive manner using additional shell..
    thanks for the info Apo i hope i can visit ur bees i have been to kidapawan due to the nature of my job..

Is it true that Trigonas can have 2 queens???

Quote Originally Posted by paul24 View Post
    when i got back to my mentors farm i will ask for a picture...

sorry my bad its a apis florea...
    that's great!
    i think i know that place ..is that in bicol???
    ive been thinking of doins the same, taking care of KIYOT..
    but i will use the coconut shell first my mentor just thought me how to split it easily using the shells..
    then when i have enough I will do the OATH method,
    there are lots of native KiYOT here..the method using the shell is great when you are trying to transfer a native KIYOT to a permanent box or just build the colony in a progressive manner using additional shell..
    thanks for the info Apo i hope i can visit ur bees i have been to kidapawan due to the nature of my job..

Is it true that Trigonas can have 2 queens???
    Where is your mentors farm? I'm also interested in keeping european bees. Hopefully, you could share your experiences and techniques.

By the way, my bees are just in my backyard currently and not in the farm. Soon, I will be relocating it so I could have many hives including honeybees.

Right now I'm trying to learn how to process propolis or where I could sell them in the future.

I have not yet heard about the bees having two queens. But now that you've shared it, I'll try to observed my hive.

do you have bees now?

My first inspection of hive 1

The beekeeper

Quote Originally Posted by Apo Mariano View Post
    Where is your mentors farm? I'm also interested in keeping european bees. Hopefully, you could share your experiences and techniques.

By the way, my bees are just in my backyard currently and not in the farm. Soon, I will be relocating it so I could have many hives including honeybees.

Right now I'm trying to learn how to process propolis or where I could sell them in the future.

I have not yet heard about the bees having two queens. But now that you've shared it, I'll try to observed my hive.

do you have bees now?

its in lupon ,davao oriental...they are actually conducting trainings to those interested in keeping honeybees...i am really so interested in learning how to take care of KIyUt..maybe you can recommend some books specific to this specie?if u dont mind..

i Could ask my mentor if there is a market in propolis then il tell you if what is his answer..
    i heard Kiyut propolis is much expensive than mellifera, twice the price they said..

its in lupon ,davao oriental...they are actually conducting trainings to those interested in keeping honeybees...i am really so interested in learning how to take care of KIyUt..maybe you can recommend some books specific to this specie?if u dont mind..

i Could ask my mentor if there is a market in propolis then il tell you if what is his answer..
    i heard Kiyut propolis is much expensive than mellifera, twice the price they said..
    You can try ordering a book from UPLB. I have tried asking them of the price, it's about 400 pesos plus shipping fee. I really didn't have any books in me, I just read about stingless bees in the internet. They are fairly easy to take care of, I now actually have 4 colonies. What you could learn from the book from UPLB is the processing of the propolis and honey. Right now, I'm still in the process of multiplying my hive so I'm in no hurry to buy the book just yet.

I'm tempted to raise Apis mellifera but I really want to go all natural. So, right now I'm now in the process of capturing my very first Apis cerana swarm.

apo how can u harvest the honey and pollen??
    i found some teqs in the net on how to harvest the honey but none on the pollen
    any ideas??
    thank you apo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast