Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: vaporizer

Default Re: vaporizer

Thanks for posting your review RonnieS. I'm glad it met your performance expectations. It should last you for years.

Larry

I just finished using the Varroacleaner sold by SNL to do my first ever OA treatment on my dozen hives. The process was easy and the Varroacleaner worked perfectly!

My hive entrances are narrow, but the Varroacleaner easily slides in, which is why I chose it over the taller Heilyser unit. Before using the Varroacleaner in a hive for the first time, I did a test run out in the open with 1/2 teaspoon of OA to make sure I understood the process and that everything was working ok. There was complete vaporization of the OA right at 2.5 minutes, just like the instructions on the box said.

When using in a hive, after the 2.5 minute vaporization time period, I de-power the unit and wait another minute or two, and then withdraw and plunge the Varroacleaner pan into a bucket of water to cool it and clean it, followed by a quick wipe with a tee-shirt.

I power the Varroacleaner with jumper cables attached to the battery in my car through a 50' 12 gauge extension cord. The 50' extension cord is necessary because my hives are on my roof, and I can drive the car only so close to the building. Since I drive the car everyday, the battery powering the Varroacleaner is always freshly charged. I am not sure how much resistive losses I get through the long extension cord, but everything works as expected, so far.

It seems the bees hardly notice the OA fumes vaporized into their hive. In fact, I would say inserting the Varroacleaner pan into the hive is more disruptive than the OA fumes.

I did not do recent mite counts before OA vaporization, but I am getting mite drops in the visually-estimated low-100's within 24 hours of the first treatment on a well populated double-deep 10-frame hive, so I know it is working.

Last year I treated mites using Apiguard. That treatment worked well. This year I choose OA vaporization over Apiguard because I can use OA at lower ambient temperature, you don't have to open the hive to administer it, and my on-line research suggested that OA fumes are less disruptive to the hive than the thymol fumes of Apiguard (which my initial experience bears out), and OA is a little better at knocking back the mites. Not to mention that OA vaporization is cheaper than Apiguard once you get past the first handful of treatments.

So far, the Varroacleaner and OA vaporization have met my expectations.
    Last edited by shinbone; 10-29-2013 at 10:33 AM.
    --shinbone
    (3rd year, 9 hives, Zone 5b, 5400 ft, 15.8" annual rainfall)

Shinebone,
    Thanks for posting your results on using the Varrocleaner. It's great to see feedback like yours when you're selling a product.

Larry

Does anyone use The OA vaporizer with screen bottom boards, If you do what is your procedure?
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

The idea is to keep the vapor in the hive for up to 10 min. even the entrance is closed up. Not sure how effective it would be with an open bottom to the hive. One thought. Can you make a board that will cover the screen in your bottom board long enough o do the treatment?
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

[QUOTE=sfisher;1016031 Does anyone use The OA vaporizer with screen bottom boards /QUOTE]

I use a piece of aluminum flashing to cover the SBB. It's thin and works fine. It is about an inch smaller than the width of the hive. You could also use HEAVY DUTY aluminun foil fitted the same way. The foil is more difficult to work with as it flexes but it'll do just fine.

The hive does not have to sealed to the nth degree. Small openings are ok.

I used the Varrox vaporizer for the first time today. You can tell from the construction that it is a quality product. It vaporized the 2 grams of oxalic acid in the 2 1/2 minutes advertised and after another two minutes you take it out, plunge it in water, wipe it off, and treat the next hive. It took me longer to get my gear together, and get the mouse guards off, than to treat the hives. I'm looking forward to seeing the mite drop over the next week.
    Dan Boylan, At it since 2007 in Pa Zone 6B, 13 hives, treat when needed.

Used my Varrocleaner on two hives. 2 1/2 minute treatment, let rest in hive another 2 minutes, quick wipe with damp cloth then on to 2nd hive. Works great. Used jumper cables from tractor battery. No problems.

In the past I used formic acid and HBH on a fume board. A fair amount of trouble and may have lost a queen in the process, but always had good mite drops. Last month I bought the Varrox and brought along my lawn mower battery to the hives. I put the IPM boards under the SBB's and followed the instructions for double deeps. It was fast, clean and easy. Had fairly high mite drops considering the small number of bees in each hive. If you decide to treat, I think this is probably the easiest way to do it and aside from buying the unit itself, is very cheap to do. I'm happy with the Varrox.
    I do have a question, though...after a period of time, does the OA residue in the hive become inert? What becomes of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Belewsboy View Post
    I do have a question, though...after a period of time, does the OA residue in the hive become inert? What becomes of it?
    From what I'm told, the residual OA is carried outside hive.......

Glad you like the Varrox vaporizer. As you said, after the purchase of the vaporizer, the cost of OA is pennies per hive.

I recently purchased the VarroaCleaner from SNL and I have to say his customer service, extra effort at prompt shipping and responsiveness to my boat-load of questions was outstanding. Thank you!

I do have another question based the answer above about how the OA residue gets out of the hive. If it is carried out (presumably by the bees?), what happens if it's still generally too cold for the bees to go outside of the hive very often (obviously the treatment day has to be warmer, but those days are still few and far between in my far north area.) Would a mid-winter treatment result in an (unhealthy?) excess of OA until warmer weather allows more flights?

I'm such a (dithering) Nervous Nellie! But I do hate those mites.

Enj.

If it where to cold for the bees to be getting out of the hive. I would not be treating.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12