Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

100's of Frames and Wax Moths

3K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  David LaFerney 
#1 ·
How do you keep wax moths off of 10 supers/hive bodies that are full of drawn comb? Industrial walk-in freezer, or a shed full of moth balls? I am quickly being overrun with wax moths. Help!

#2 ·
If you've got them right now, you'll need to freeze those frames quick to kill what larvae and eggs are already there. Once they've been frozen, store them with para moth.

Hope the damage isn't too extensive.

Shed full of moth balls would probably do the trick too.

#4 ·
If you've got them right now, you'll need to freeze those frames quick to kill what larvae and eggs are already there.
My chest freezer in the garage will hold 20 loose frame with the rest of the frozen food that I have in there. It worked when I had a few frames, but is not a practical solution now.

#5 ·
I like to use BT in m vegetable garden, but not sure about on frames or drawn comb. How long can that bacteria survive? It seems like a great idea, but if it stayed on a comb too long, could it colonize in honey ( assuming you reused that frame) and possibly kill off a hive?

I'd like to discuss further on the feasibility. I know in the garden it washes away with a good rain, so maybe just rinse frames/combs with warm water and let air dry before placing back in service. Thoughts?

#8 ·
Open air works (the birds will eat the moth larvae) and freezing will kill them, but to keep them clear of moths you must either freeze them all and keep them frozen or store them with enough paramoth (paradichlorobenzene moth crystals) to kill the moths and larave. Easy enough if you have some spare boxes and covers, just put a cover on the floor upsidedown, stack boxes as high as you wish with the frames in them, add enough paramoth to treat the enclosed space, and put an empty shallow on top with another telescoping cover on top of that. Stinky but effective. I'd guess two boxes of paramoth packets at the grocery store would do the trick.

It is VERY annoying to find what you thought were nice drawn frames full of wax moths!

Peter

#9 ·
I left some frames out with wax moth larvae on them to see if the yellow jackets would eat them. Wow, they love wax moth larvae. They had a party and all the frames are clean. Who knew!

#10 ·
back in the day we use to store our frames in supers outside under roof with top and bottoms exposed. We placed them in racks that held them at a 45 degree angle so the breeze could blow through and sunlight get in. Until winter freeze, when the wax moths were not a problem.

#11 ·
100 frames= 10 XXL zip bags. The bags are $1.00 each. Freeze the frames for three days then zip them in the bags...then place inside of plastic totes with the snap on lids (keeps mice out) then they store nicely anywhere you have room to stack the totes. No smelly crystals and it works!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.