Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Balloon hand

Default Balloon hand

Well yesterday I quickly stuck a frame feeder in my hive, well needless to say I got stung twice on the back of my hand. I normally swell up a bit when I get stung on sensitive areas. But my hand is huge! I couldn't get any sleep it aches and itches so much(I'm not scratching it). My question is, is there anything I can do to make my swelling go down?

Thanks,
    Coleman

Default Re: Balloon hand

Benadryl and some ice

I've been taking Benadryl with no luck..

cortisone cream if you have any.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Do you have any access to Roman chamomile or basil oil? That might help, applied with ice.

What they said! I find stungs to the back of my wrist area to swell more than any other palce I've been tagged so far. I've only managed 6 or 8 stings last season, so I have yet to say I have fully tested my reactions. It just seems odd to me to have so much swelling in a palce that isnt very sensative.

When I get stung on the back of my hand, it swells up big too. It usually is swollen for 2 or 3 days. Now I use the disposable nitrile gloves, like they use at dentist or doctor's offices. If I get stung thru them its usually not very bad, and I still have the sense of touch thru them, unlike thicker gloves.

Hope the swelling goes down soon.

Quote Originally Posted by DBS_UTAH View Post
    When I get stung on the back of my hand, it swells up big too. It usually is swollen for 2 or 3 days. Now I use the disposable nitrile gloves, like they use at dentist or doctor's offices. If I get stung thru them its usually not very bad, and I still have the sense of touch thru them, unlike thicker gloves.

Hope the swelling goes down soon.
    I wonder if the elastic pressure hampers the pumping action of the stinger. That may be a good tip. A couple of years ago I ended up with 14 stings on my left ear - blew up like Mickey Mouse for almost a week. Like the hand my doc says there is a bottle neck (ie - the wrist) that traps fluid when swollen. I would try going beyond the traditional bag of ice and try an ice bath a few times a day...and elevation. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Tycobb View Post
    I wonder if the elastic pressure hampers the pumping action of the stinger.
    i use the nitrile gloves too, the elastic may indeed do that. plus the stinger is easily pulled out by pinching the glove.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

I had similar reactions to stings a few years back. I was told by my DR. that I should drink 1/2 of the small benedryl bottle right after the sting. I tell you what, it works for me. One word of caution though, you only have about 20 minutes (max) before you start to feel very drowsy.

I got 4 stings to my right forearm about 2 weeks ago and it swelled for the first time ever.... The area was hot, hard and itched like mad.... The little guys sneaked in my glove...

Benadryl. And not just two tablespoons. I won’t tell you how much, but my Dad had walking pneumonia and the doc said he had two choices: hospital or Benadryl. He gave him a case of it and subscribed a half bottle twice a day. After three days dad started hacking up... well he was cured- drank the whole case! Please consult your doc!

Soak it in hot water and apple cider vinegar. The itching will stop and the vinegar will draw the venom right through the skin!

Thanks for all the tips, after school get out I'm going to go try some of these... Atleast I'm excused from doing work today since I can't hold a pencil haha

What help me the most is neosporin ointment. The thick cream kind plus pain relief.
    The swelling will go down fast and no itchy. I think the feeling of itch and pain is the
    same feeling so it does the job of numbing your spots out. I'd been using this ever since
    I started beekeeping. If you apply it right away then the swelling goes away very fast too.

Quote Originally Posted by seamuswildflower View Post
    Soak it in hot water and apple cider vinegar. The itching will stop and the vinegar will draw the venom right through the skin!
    I am wondering if the vinegar is going through the skin the other way and deactivating the venom or deactivating the histamines the body is producing?
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Quote Originally Posted by beepro View Post
    What help me the most is neosporin ointment. The thick cream kind plus pain relief.
    The swelling will go down fast and no itchy. I think the feeling of itch and pain is the
    same feeling so it does the job of numbing your spots out. I'd been using this ever since
    I started beekeeping. If you apply it right away then the swelling goes away very fast too.

Are you sure you dont mean hydrocortisone? Neosporin is an antibiotic ointment.
    Honey Badger Don't Care ಠ_ಠ ~=[,,_,,]:3

Ice cold beer does the trick for me.
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

Go to the emergency room and let them give you the proper cure, probably a shot. Home remedies are dangerous.
    Julysun elevation 23 feet. 4 Hives, 2 years.

Lavender essential oil, get mine from Young Living. Kills pain on contact, doesn't stop swelling though.