Default Will insulating hive too well cause a starve out?

Hello Everyone:
    I insulated one of my TBH and I got to wondering if maybe I've insulated it too well so before doing the other one I thought I should ask. I made like a styrofoam cooler out of 2 inch styrofoam that insulates 2 sides, the back and the top. Will this make the Bees more active in cold weather and cause a starve out? Maybe tomorrow I will take a photo to give you all a better idea of what I've done. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Default Re: Will insulating hive too well cause a starve out?

Keep in mind that insulation does not prevent heat loss, it merely slows down the rate of heat loss. There are hives made entirely out of styrofoam-like material that are successful in varied climates, so it seems unlikely that foam will make your hives too warm.

However, in your efforts to insulate, keep in mind that ventilation is still needed. Moist air from inside the hive still needs to be vented to the outside.

Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 09-29-2013 at 10:02 PM. Reason: typo
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Thanks Rader I'll do the other one now. The reason I think I need to insulate well is because here on the prairies we get strong penetrating winds in winter that literally suck the heat out of things.

wind can defiantly play a role in wintering hives. I kept bees in Morrell Nebraska, as in your area we had to deal with strong nearly constant winds over the winter. wrapping helps considerably. providing a wind break helps immensely. I use to store round bales on the north and west side of my hives. had some down in the dry wash, and even erected stockade fences to protect them.
    However as Graham said ventilation is very important. Condensation can develop on the cover and freeze, then when the sun warms the hive it melts and drips over the cluster. Well I need not explain the problem there.

Hello Tenbears:
    The wind here can get so bad I've had a chicken lay the same egg twice.

Man! Thats as bad as having to say the same word 3 times facing the wind!