Default Queen emergency and swarm cells

Hi,

The other day (3 days ago, about) I transferred two capped brood and bees frames from an Italian hive to a Russian hive. Today, I went to check on them and found several initial emergency cells and swarm cells. The queen seemed to be killed. This was a darn good queen. I don't know what possessed me to transfer frames with bees on them. Lessons learned, I guess.

Question, how come her bees did not protect, or defended her from the new bees?? Do you think if I had isolated those frames from their main hive for a day, would have made those bees more acceptance of the new queens? I am in zone 6b, elevation 1100 ft and I know it is too lake for queens to mate. There are no drones and the queens breeder for my area are done for the season. I guess that hive is a goner. Has any body overwintered a hive with a virgin queen? Is it possible?

Default Re: Queen emergency and swarm cells

Transferring the bees with the frames never causes a problem here for me. Perhaps you transferred a queen without realizing it? Doing that would cause quite a commotion with fighting. You should get a new queen laying by the end of October, there may still be a few drones around in your area? It's up to you, leave and see what happens, or perhaps join the two hives together for over winter.

The hive where I got the two frames, had fresh layed eggs today. Also, I checked thoroughly there was no queen on them.

Yes you should have seperated them from a couple of days or you could have caged the queen in the nuc you were placeing the frames of brood an bees in.

Dont think that a virgin will winter then mate in spring

The queen probably wandered among the enemy bees by accident or she got squished when you were putting the new frames in (more likely).
    If I add frames with bees, I usually put them on the outside.
    If a virgin does not mate within 2 weeks of emergency, she will be a drone layer.