Default Culling Emerged Queens

Do you cull newly emerged queens based on looks (size, shape, color) only, or do you what until they start laying before you cull or both? What criteria do you use to cull at the emerged state. I've read that some cull the small, some cull the big. My guess is that is takes a very experienced eye to determine what a good queen looks like.
    my facebook page

Default Re: Culling Emerged Queens

Sometimes I think too much emphasis is put on initial size, I've had a few where I thought they were runts, but turned into nice sized queens after mating.

Went to the Tennessee Beekeeper Association fall conference this weekend. Dr. Clarence Collison gave a presentation on the importance of quality queens. He said that culling 15-25% of your smallest queens significantly improved overall queen quality. This is based on the idea that larger queens have larger ovaries. Larger ovaries contain more ovarioles, thus allowing the well mated queen to lay better for a longer time.

When you first begin rearing queens, you may consider getting any queen emerged a success. As you continue, culling those small queens will yield dividends in the form of greater productivity and more robust hives.

Quote Originally Posted by gunter62 View Post
    When you first begin rearing queens, you may consider getting any queen emerged a success. As you continue, culling those small queens will yield dividends in the form of greater productivity and more robust hives.
    Great advice. It is difficult to drop the attachment to any initial success.
    my facebook page