Default Going to miss my third OAV treatment.

So I am going to miss my third oxalic acid vapor treatment because the weather today is terrible. Not drizzling but blowing and pouring.

Question is, how serious is the timing? If I get it in two or three days am I ok? Do I need to start over? Will the mite knockdown from the first two treatments be "ok"?

Only my second year and first year with OAV. The first treatment had incredible numbers of mite kill on a couple hives ( overwintered from last year ).

Default Re: Going to miss my third OAV treatment.

OAV doesn't have to be done exactly every 7 days. A few days longer between won't be a big deal. What your trying to do is cover one entire brood rearing cycle. So if you do three treatments over 30 days about every 10 days. The once a week is based on the average hobbyist that works 5 days and off on the weekend. On the first treatment you will catch the mites that are not sealed in with the capped brood. The second gets mites that have emerged since the first. Then the third gets the rest that emerge after the second. This should catch most mites as any brood that had mite eggs in its cell at the first treatment have emerged (along with the mite) by the time you have applied the third.

If you are planning a final treatment after all brood has emerged you will get any that slipped through the gap. You have till daytime temperatures get down to a few degrees above freezing.

Thank you for the replies.