Default Quick Ground removal

Hello folks, I was approached by a neighbor friend today about removing a colony from the ground at a friend's landing strip. I do cutouts and catch swarms every year but this particular situation has me coming up short for solutions of saving them alive. This is a grass air strip and and this area has been graded recently. From what he's saying it sounds like a tree with a live colony was pushed over and the dirt graded over top of it. The honeybees have dug their way to the surface and the colony has resumed normal operations. Apparently there's a patron there who is highly allergic and they want them out fast.

The catch is 1) they want the bees gone ASAP 2) no digging is allowed. I mentioned a trap-out but that would take longer than they are willing to entertain. They don't mind killing the colony. But I've never exterminated a colony before and I hate the idea of doing that. But I'm coming up short of a way to do a live removal. I'd appreciate any ideas you all can offer.

Much thanks!

Default Re: Quick Ground removal

I don't know about South Carolina, but it's pretty late in the year to establish a new hive here.
    I stopped accepting cutouts a few weeks ago unless they can be collected next spring.

I'd tell the Airport management they can be removed immediately, but it will require digging.
    If they refuse to allow any digging, I'd tell them to call an exterminator, and walk away form the job.

It's been my experience that folks who make unreasonable demands before a job starts often make them after it has begun.
    Some jobs are better refused than accepted.

I'm no expert, but it might be "ground bees". You could try soaking the area with a waterhose.

http://insects.about.com/od/insectpe...round-Bees.htm
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Zone 10a; Elevation 13 feet

I had to read the post a couple of times to get a grasp on the situation. IF I am getting this straight, they buried a whole tree in the landing strip? If so, terrible idea. Rotting hollow tree in a landing strip has all the makings of a disaster one day.

Why no digging? Sounds like your hands are literally tied.

"Sorry, nothing I can do for you." That's what I would say. Unless they are willing to pay you to do what they want you to do, remove the bees, if they really are bees, and unless they dig it up for you, what is there for you? What would you get out of it? You can buy bees for less.

I had someone call me this Summer who wanted some bees taken out of the wall of a house, near an entrance door, and they had to come out quickly w/out taking the wall apart. "Sorry, can't help you." I don't know what they ended up doing.
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

Please pick two - fast, good, cheap. It's a cliche because it's so often true. But, I agree "Sorry, good luck." Is often the best response to people who can't grasp the concept.
    Since '09-25H-T-Z6b

Our bee club fields calls about nuisance bees. More often than not, these are bees in a wall. While I appreciate that the callers are concerned about the bees they are usually not willing to pay for cutouts. If I can't convince them to just live with the bees, the only real solution is to kill them.
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -H.S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Beeman View Post
    I had to read the post a couple of times to get a grasp on the situation. IF I am getting this straight, they buried a whole tree in the landing strip? If so, terrible idea. Rotting hollow tree in a landing strip has all the makings of a disaster one day.
    +1 Remind me to NEVER land there !

1) they want the bees gone ASAP 2) no digging is allowed.

Those are mutually exclusive conditions.

No way........run, don't walk, from those folks.