Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Hive stands

4K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Michael Bush 
#1 ·
I have always used concrete blocks for hive stands but I am thinking of switching to treated lumber stands. For those of you that put you hives on multi hive stands, How much distance do you put between hives?

#2 ·
I put mine on 8' 2X4s with a hive at each end. That gives me open space to set boxes down in between the hives to work on and not kill bees on the bottom of the frames and to have them boxes higher up so I don't have to lean over so far. I tried one in the middle, but then I couldn't put 2 boxes down side by side. No cost effective if you have 200 hives, but great for a hobby Beek like me. I put short 4X4s in the ground for the 4 corners.

#8 ·
I'm switching mine over in the next few weeks. I'm going to use 16 inch 4x4s on the ends and pressure treated 2x4s for rails.
The reason I am doing it is so I can put grease on the legs. I'm hoping the grease will help stop bugs and Beatles from crawling up to the hives. I will just have to make sure there are not any plants that grow up to touch the stand.

#9 · (Edited)
Do those that have their hives strung out in a line move them close together for over wintering?
if so what do you find the best way to move them without bees being lost to the previous location.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.