Default Mite fall after 24 hours = 10 dead mites

New beek. I did a 24 drop with a small amount of oil around the perimeter. I had 10 mites that were all scattered in the middle - dead. None of them made it to the oil. All had no legs/appendages. What gives?

Default Re: Mite fall after 24 hours = 10 dead mites

Cheer, have a celebratory pint, smile from ear-to-ear. Mites with chewed legs are being reported from Mexico, the mid-west and east coast. I have not seen these on my boards (west coast). If bees are chewing your mites legs, you have a major control behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by JWChesnut View Post
    If bees are chewing your mites legs, you have a major control behavior.
    I think you should let a few swarms go into the wild, maybe that behavior could make it to Texas before I die.
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

A 10 drop test would indicate that this was a heavy load hive. But I am guessing that the assumption is they are live mites that fall due to being mechanically dislodged, not chewed. Does it matter?

Quote Originally Posted by bbrowncods View Post
    A 10 drop test would indicate that this was a heavy load hive. But I am guessing that the assumption is they are live mites that fall due to being mechanically dislodged, not chewed. Does it matter?
    10 would be heavy in the spring but in the fall it is a good count. My threshold for fall treatment is about 40-50/day at the beginning of Sep. If less I won't treat unless a lot of pupae are being dragged out and I see bees on the ground with deformed wing virus (or bees wandering on the ground and not flying back to the hive--evidence of tracheal mites).