Default First time on BeeSource researching

My name s Lance and I have tended bees before with my father and have kept a single hive on my property. I am 90 miles south of the Canadian border at the South end of Lake Champlain. I am needing advice on wintering a wild swarm that set up house in an empty hive that had built out comb, 3- 10" supers. I dont know when they showed up but noticed them in August 2013. I have fed these bees with top feeder, 20 pound of sugar at a 1:1 ratio with water since the mid part of september. Im confident I will find my answers here on BeeSource.

Default Re: First time on BeeSource researching

Welcome to Beesource!

Perhaps you could tell us whether you have basic beekeeping tools such as a veil and a smoker, and if you have inspected the inside of the hive? What do you see inside the hive?
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Welcome Lance!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Welcome Lancer,
    Without knowing what you have inside the hive I will just give you some general ideas as to what needs done. I will assume that the 10" boxes are deeps, go behind the hive and heft up the hive with one hand it should feel pretty heavy, you will be looking for approximately 50 pounds or more. If the hive is a little light then keep feeding, however it would be best to be feeding 2:1 this time of the year. When the temperatures get down to 50 degrees during the day it is time to stop feeding. When the temperatures get down to the freezing range at night then it is time to winterize the hive. To winterize the hive you will need to cover the entrance with 1/2 x 1/2 hardware mesh or some other type of suitable mouse guard and wrap the hive with 15 lb felt paper ( do not cover the entrance ). Adding some type of upper ventilation would be recommended to prevent condensation build up inside the hive and perhaps some insulation under the outer cover. That should be all you will need to do and your bees will be set for the coming winter.
    Last edited by WWW; 09-27-2013 at 06:54 AM.
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio

Welcome, 2:1 means 2 lbs sugar to 1 lb water. Some people take that as 2 parts water, nope.
    good luck
    I'm not tense, Just terribly, terribly alert!

Thanks for the replies, I do have all the basic bee tools that I am aware of. Veil, smoker ect. the Three supers had built out comb with some honey stores. I did lift up hive to level it out some and it did feel heavy. I am tickled pink that these bees moved in and really want them to thrive next year.about a month and a half ago i took some frames out of the top super and they hadnt stored anything in them. The last feeding of 15 pounds of sugar 2:1 ratio only lasted about 5 days. Is this any indicator to the condition of the hive, or to how many bees I have? I have had a great summer and fall for pollen and nectar. Thanks for the help.