Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Honey Labels;

15K views 55 replies 20 participants last post by  Jared.Downs 
#1 ·
Does anyone have their Honey Label's custom printed and by whom. I am thinking about having some Label's printed with "Kansas Wildflower Honey". Who does custom Label printing & what was your experiences with them? Also are they waterproof? Thanks for your input. Dale

#2 ·
I'm assuming you're looking to get a fully custom label, meaning you design the whole thing, it doesn't just have your name/address on a stock label.

Custom labels are expensive until you get to about the 1000 mark, even then they're expensive I think. onlinelabels.com has a "honey label" that specifically fits a classic/queenline 1lb jar. If you design it you can make a full sheet design of them, take that pdf and your labels to OfficeDepot's print center and they'll feed your labels through their color laser using your pdf. That's like 25c-40c/sheet and there are 10 labels on each of those sheets.

Getting a full bleed and proper alignment can be tricky though....the devil's in the details. :)

#4 ·
Find your local Print Shop and see if they will work w/ you. They will have a catalog w/ stock sizes and shapes that they will order labels for you from. You may have to find someone to work up any art work or design beyond your wording.

I just picked up 1,000 round labels 2" in size red w/ white lettering and they cost me 25 cents each.

#6 ·
I just ordered 500 labels from Brushy Mountain for $40.00 you can get them in printable sheets and print them yourself .You can also down load the label printing template for windows 7 from there site.The problem I am having is finding the right label template for windows 8.:scratch:

#7 · (Edited)
Does everyone expect the cost for the artwork to be a apart of the individual label cost (A) or a fee that is added on top of the label cost (B)

The number are just for the sake of the question.

A)
$0.10 per label covers printing and custom artwork

B)
$0.08 per label w/o artwork to cover cost of printing
+
$0.02 fee per label to cover cost of artwork
(At $0.02 per label, at 1000 labels that is a $20 fee)

I'm asking this as I am a product / graphic designer and trying to better understand how some people think when it comes to this type of stuff. Thanks.

#25 ·
For me the label and the art work are two separate things and should be charged for separate. I may have a different view than is typical because I have done art work.

#9 ·
Tell me what each part costs. If you were to design me a new label would you do that by the hour or by the simplicity or complexity, flat rate?

Unless one has a die made for a new special shape label, the blank labels cost the same, unless you get a break for a large order. I assume. Doesn't printing them cost the same each time?

#10 · (Edited)
My fee structure (and many other consultants) is based on time. When clients come to me to design a label or product the cost is calculated by (projected # of hours) x (hourly rate) = (cost)

To calculate the "projected # of hours" I've got a formula that I use that accounts for the worst case and best case scenarios. Say I quote a project at 100 hours (a product) and it takes me 86 hours, I don't change for the 14 hours that I didn't work but initially quoted. If I quote 100 and it takes me 114, depending on how good the client is, they'll pay the extra 14 or I'll eat those 14 hours.

Charging based on simplicity or complexity doesn't seem fair to either party in my opinion. To design a simple clean graphic can often times be harder; I'd be spending my time making multiple variations to find that one design that fits the criteria perfectly. Where as a complex graphic would take time to get all the detail work done. To me, it all boils down to time.

Flat rates can be good but can be very bad. Depending on the relationship the designer and client have. With a flat rate, there is incentive for the designer to get it done as fast as possible. And if the client wants more revisions but the designer has used up all the time they planned for, then the client is often times no longer getting the best results because the designer is now hustling through the revisions.

So in the end, when you hire someone it's all about the relationship that both parties have with each other.

Printing them should* cost the same each time. I'm guessing if you bought a pallet load of ink and toner you might get a slight price break similar to honey by the bottle or by the drum.

#12 ·
Very nice.

"Barbas"? That's not a typo, is it? What is Barbas?

I am curious about why you have elk horns on your honey bee though? Not that anyone other than I would or will notice.

What does it cost you? Going to use it on a round jar?

#20 ·
I just looked at the labels from onlinelabels.com Unless my math skills are on the blink they cost 5 cents each at the 1000 label quantity. 4 cents each at the 10,000 quantity. If the prices above for printing are accurate that adds another 4 cents. so you are looking at 8 cents per label. Now I have looked into labels for quite a while and I have not found anything that actually works out to that price. But I also cannot stomach adding 75 cents to the cost of a jar either. And that is closer to what I have been finding when you get right down to the pay button.

#26 ·
I made what I consider to be some fairly nice looking labels using the Avery labels from walmart and Avery's website to design them.

I have not calculated it to see the cost effect compared to buying labels, but I like the convenience of doing them when I need them.

#27 ·
I bought some of the Avery printable jar labels at Walmart. Just go to their website and design your own label and print them on your own printer.
It's pretty basic, but it works well for a small operation.
I was really pleased with it.

#28 ·
Any cost you incur,including labels should be paid for by customers...that is if you have them. Until the customer pays the costs incurred are yours:)

#30 ·
make the investment.
To Marks comment about making the investment. You might have the best honey in the world but that is judged by taste.

But first the product has to be visually appealing to the customer in order to make the decision to purchase the goods.

To put things in perspective, a toy company I use to work for would spend 25% of their MSRP on packing.

Example: If the toy cost $20.00 at Walmart, $5.00 of that $20.00 cost went to paying for packaging.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.