Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Honey Labels;

Default Re: Honey Labels;

The cost of your label isn't figured into the price of your honey? You don't pay for your labels, your customers do.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Quote Originally Posted by Tgill View Post
    This is my new label - pretty excited about it
    I think the exponent should have been 4 to include Burnet. Actually, its very nice!

I've been using Amy's bee labels for many years and have been very satisfied with her service. She does custom work, but I don't know to what extent. She is a professional graphic designer for Dadant, so she's probably suited for most design tasks. My wife does most of our label design and Amy makes it label-ready. Also, her labels are not totally waterproof, but do hold up very well under most usage.
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

Tgill- Hook'Em
    Yes I noticed, as an alum I bleed burnt orange.
    Nephew a Jr. now.
    Like the label- alot

Great, now I want to make a label for Pyramid Honey. Big honeycomb pyramids in the background and little slave bees carrying jars of honey under the taskmaster's whip (a drone in an egyptian skirt) while the queen bee lounges in the background on a litter.
    Beekeeper since 2013. Read my bee blog at:
    http://harrisonbayhoney.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jared.Downs View Post
    Does everyone expect the cost for the artwork to be a apart of the individual label cost (A) or a fee that is added on top of the label cost (B)

The number are just for the sake of the question.

A)
    $0.10 per label covers printing and custom artwork

B)
    $0.08 per label w/o artwork to cover cost of printing
    +
    $0.02 fee per label to cover cost of artwork
    (At $0.02 per label, at 1000 labels that is a $20 fee)

I'm asking this as I am a product / graphic designer and trying to better understand how some people think when it comes to this type of stuff. Thanks.
    For me the label and the art work are two separate things and should be charged for separate. I may have a different view than is typical because I have done art work.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

I made what I consider to be some fairly nice looking labels using the Avery labels from walmart and Avery's website to design them.

I have not calculated it to see the cost effect compared to buying labels, but I like the convenience of doing them when I need them.

I bought some of the Avery printable jar labels at Walmart. Just go to their website and design your own label and print them on your own printer.
    It's pretty basic, but it works well for a small operation.
    I was really pleased with it.
    Let's Eat Grandmaw ........... Let's Eat, Grandmaw.......Grammar Saves Lives

Any cost you incur,including labels should be paid for by customers...that is if you have them. Until the customer pays the costs incurred are yours
    Janne....first hives April 2013, 19 hives, treat, plant zone 8b, at sea level, latitude 49.13, longitude 123.06

Well, sure. All costs are eventually paid for by the customer. My point was just because something costs what you think is somewhat expensive shouldn't keep you from spending the money, make the investment.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    make the investment.
    To Marks comment about making the investment. You might have the best honey in the world but that is judged by taste.

But first the product has to be visually appealing to the customer in order to make the decision to purchase the goods.

To put things in perspective, a toy company I use to work for would spend 25% of their MSRP on packing.

Example: If the toy cost $20.00 at Walmart, $5.00 of that $20.00 cost went to paying for packaging.

I had trouble getting Avery labels to remain stuck on the jars. Onlinelabels.com labels have good stickum and a zillion sizes/shapes.
    Politics is the entertainment branch of industry. -Frank Zappa

Amy's Labels amysbeelabels@hotmail.com She does great work!
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

The cost of your label isn't figured into the price of your honey? You don't pay for your labels, your customers do.
    Amen. They pay for the packaging also.
    Zone 5a @ 4700 ft. High Desert
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by rwurster View Post
    Amen. They pay for the packaging also.
    Oh, my. That really cuts into my profits.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Does anyone have their Honey Label's custom printed and by whom. I am thinking about having some Label's printed with "Kansas Wildflower Honey". Who does custom Label printing & what was your experiences with them? Also are they waterproof? Thanks for your input. Dale
    I think it is worth the reasonable pay to have someone else do your labels, especially if you do not have all the materials or time. I worked with Laura at Hetrick Honey Bees, great experience! She custom made our labels with my ideas and some of hers, until we had a product we both thought was dynamite. Great to work with, and well worth the money, but dont think they are waterproof. No dipping the jars in hot water!, that is what the sun is for . However, not sure if she is taking on new customers, but you should check them out and see. http://www.hetrickhoneybees.com/

Before spending money on labels make sure the labels meet FDA (and state or local) requirements. Basic requirements are product description, ingredients, name and address of processor, and weight in ounces and grams (U. S. Standard and metric). Below is a link to FDA labeling information.

http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegu.../ucm064866.htm

Well, sure. All costs are eventually paid for by the customer. My point was just because something costs what you think is somewhat expensive shouldn't keep you from spending the money, make the investment.
    Except I care how I spend my customers money.

What does your label look like?
    What do they cost?
    What is the point of your label? To attract attention? To be recognizable as DanielY's honey? To inform w/ as few a number of words as necessary? To fit into the kind of outlet you wish to market through? (my label wouldn't fit in a fancy upscale kind of outlet)
    Do you sell much honey?

What does your label look like?
    What do they cost?
    What is the point of your label? To attract attention? To be recognizable as DanielY's honey? To inform w/ as few a number of words as necessary? To fit into the kind of outlet you wish to market through? (my label wouldn't fit in a fancy upscale kind of outlet)
    Do you sell much honey?
    1. Right now generic very ugly thing from Western Bee Supply.
    2. Don't remember, very cheap.
    3. To make our name known, to make our brand known, to tell people it is raw natural honey of course. and to give contact info most likely a web site in order to re purchase.

at the moment the contact info repurchase info is pending further decisions. I do not want to sell out quickly. I am looking to develop enough loyal repeat customers to sell what honey we do produce. at this time that will be easy to over do. We started out selling it to fast and then dwindled to almost nothing as of now we are a little bit behind.

4. Whole food to Fancy Up scale is exactly what I am looking for. we are also considering selling much of it as a holiday, Gift. Gift basket sort of product. It is likely we could end up in nothing but Upscale due to other products I can make and sell.

5. so far less then 300 lbs form 4 hives. next year we are looking to have 21 hives. Not sure i will focus much on honey production. We have so far sold about 100lbs of that 300.

If you're going after the upscale market why cheap out on packaging?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast