Hybrid View

Default closing up side entrances on TBH for winter

Hi, I have a beethinking TBH that has 3 entrance holes spread out along the side of the hive. The holes are spread out in such a way that there is one directly in the middle of the hive and one on each end. I started my bees at one end with one hole open and as they spread out through the hive I opened up the middle hole but put a cork in it with a hole in the middle as an entrance reducer to help the bees defend themselves against wasps and such robbing the hive (we have had quite the hornet and wasp year here). The bees always used the end-side entrance as the main entrance and exit with a few using the middle hole. My plan was to move the entrance reducer back to the end hole for the winter and close up the middle hole completely. However the bees have completely sealed in the entrance reducer in the middle hole and have started to close up the hole as well. My question is does it really matter what hole I leave open for the bees over the winter? If i just close off the end hole and leave the middle hole open will it create a problem for the bees since that is the one they mainly use?

Default Re: closing up side entrances on TBH for winter

just let the bees do what they want..they will seal off anything they dont plan to use..or at least they should. They will open it up again if they decide to use it..I know this sounds like a silly answer but believe me mine do it..an they do fine

Thanks for the response oldreliable. I am all for letting the bees do there thing but I feel like the entrance hole will be too large to leave open during the winter months as it gets quite cold here and the bees have not started closing that one down at all. That is why I wanted to move the entrance reducer into that hole plus it would be all too easy for mice and other small rodents to get into the hive with that hole open. I plan on doing one last check in the hive this weekend as it looks like we will have some decent weather. I think I will just scrape away the propolis and wax from the middle hole to get the entrance reducer out and fully plug that hole and move the reducer to the end hole like I planned. I generally leave all the extra propolis and wax, I have scraped away during my inspections, in the bottom of the hive for the bees to reuse so they shouldn't have to put so much effort into making and collecting more.

I would either leave it as is, as they are likely to close up the end entrance a bit with propolis if they don't like it. Or move the middle bung, clear out the propolis, put it on the end and swap in a full-size bung into the middle.

Best,
    Matt

Thanks Matt, I checked on the hive this evening and they were all clustered at the front of the hive as the temps are dropping down into the high 40-50s at night. I looked into the entrance and could clearly see the cluster right up to the entrance hole with some of the bees fanning with their wings. I assume they are circulating the air into the hive. Would plugging up the middle hole completely at this time interfere with that air circulation? Our extended forecast is calling for rain and highs in the 50's. I would like to start feeding them some sugar water too before it gets too cold. I have a feeder that sets down into the hive along a follower board with a hole for access in it. Can I just set this feeder at the end of the stored honeycomb or should I try and get it towards the front of the hive? TIA

TIA,

If you've got that many bees fanning at the entrance(s), I'd probably leave it at this point and wait until they retreat farther into the hive. How much honey do they have stored? I usually do a final inspection sometime in September to determine their store situation. If they've got plenty of stores (40lbs or so here in Portland, OR), then I don't worry about feeding.

Best,
    Matt