Hybrid View

Default How Long Until the Drones Die?

I'm in Houston, TX. I wish I had taken better notes last fall of when I still saw drones and then didn't. Anybody else down here have an idea how long the boys will still be in town? I had a pretty catastrophic fall splitting debacle go down and am thinking about trying to graft once more in an effort to try one more time at making some fall splits.

And ideas on how long I've got would be great. I'm OK with feeding and nursing the bees to build up into the fall. I guess my two biggest risks are how long I still have drones to mate, and then how long the queens will lay into the fall to get the population up. Thoughts?
    After 20 months I'm over a 20 hives and growing. See my videos! http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8fVrmUsyYlRuASdX6UQk1g

Default Re: How Long Until the Drones Die?

Governed by hives resources, climate and season Theres no definate answer. My hives still have drones and drone brood, not as many as in spring summer but they are present. In your warm climate the queen may never totally stop. In my climate I believe december, depends.

Make sure they have plenty of wet nectar, bee bread and bees.

Yesterday I found quite a few homeless drones wandering around in the grass outside the hives...it seems to be that time.

There are still drones in hives here in NY.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Does anyone have oldtimer tricks like "until after the goldenrod flow" or until after the first frost? I know this is not applicable everywhere, but just kind of curious. I know my bees stopped laying drones last winter (that was my first winter with bees), and I recall the excitement this spring in early March when I found the first capped drone cells. I had all BeeWeaver bees, native to this climate, and they all but stopped laying even brood through the winter. However I also had one feral colony from a removal and that queen kept one frame full of brood all winter! But she did cease laying drones.
    After 20 months I'm over a 20 hives and growing. See my videos! http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8fVrmUsyYlRuASdX6UQk1g

If you want to make GOD laugh tell me what you are going to do tomorrow. And you want someone to tell you something more unpredictable and undependable as when drones die?

Okay, but it will be a lie if I do.

Dec. 15
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."