Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default GAHHH!!! I can't believe it! I think it happened to me!

So last week I harvested from one of my hives but didn't have time to do the other two. I did check on them and all seemed well, hive full of bees, eggs and brood.

Today I look out at my bees and notice something odd. Its raining today and two of my hives have the usual small pile of daily dead stuck in the rainwater outside the entrance, but one hive didn't have any dead and there seemed to be a lot of hornets flying in and out of that hive. I ran over and opened it up and couldn't believe my eyes. No bees. Not a single one

Looked at the bottom board and found maybe 20-30 dead bees and the usual detritus. Went through the hive and found no bees anywhere. Most of the honey was gone, torn and ripped caps makes it looks like it was robbed out. Tons of pollen.

And eggs! hundreds of eggs in brood cells and a few dozen scattered capped or partial opened dead brood with normal looking larvae in them.

And no bees except for the few on the bottom board. This was one of the hives that I haven't harvested from yet.

Is this CCD!?

Those things you see flying around in the pictures are not bees, they are wasps. Since its 47 and raining all my bees are inside where they belong.

Default Re: GAHHH!!! I can't believe it! I think it happened to me!

Looks like some dead yellow jackets on the bottom board as well.
    No one famous.

They possibly absconded and then got robbed out. Not much brood there.

Anything is possible I guess, but why would they abscond at this time of year? or leave behind so many eggs?

I also wonder if there was more brood but it was taken by the hornets? Their where a lot of hornets in there.

This is pretty much the time of year I see it the most. But looking at the frames I'm thinking there were some other issues as well. Mites on the BB and looks like there was also some moisture getting in. Those top bars should have nice white burr comb this time of year. Theirs "not so much"..

I've actually never seen burr comb in my hives at any time of year. I'm foundationless which I think helps with this since they always have a place to build comb of any size they want.

There where other issues, mites and DWV but i've had some of that in all my hives all year. And there where a ton of bees in this hive just last week.

As for moisture I had some trouble last year but I switched tops and haven't had any since.

And today is only the third time its rained in the past two months here so I don't think its a current issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
    I've actually never seen burr comb in my hives at any time of year. I'm foundationless which I think helps with this since they always have a place to build comb of any size they want.
    You've never had a hive strong enough or a large enough flow to produce burr comb.

Looks like mine if they go queenless and get robbed out. From what I've read bees don't rob out hives that have crashed from CCD
    I’m really not that serious

Looks like mine if they go queenless and get robbed out. From what I've read bees don't rob out hives that have crashed from CCD
    What about hornets? it was freaking filled with hornets.

And if it went queenless how come there where hundreds of abandoned eggs?

In the forth picture (dark frame) there is a lot of white stuff on the cell walls. This is usually mite feces that is quickly cleaned out be the bees. Seeing this much indicates they had a very serious mite infestation. My guess is that they absconded because of this.

Open some of the capped cells and pull out the pupae carefully with pliers and look for the white stuff on the cell wall. If more than 10% of the cells have it, it is critical.

Honey Hive Farms,

Did you treat for mites? Looks or feels like they possibly absconded.

NOTE:
    If it were from wasp killing them there would be lots of bodies laying around they don't carry them off that I have ever heard of or seen
    When a bee has mites it is like a fist on your body so say it has 8 of them to carry around and then they go out to bring say pollen back, they get to tired to make it back to the hive.

Hope all goes well.

Tim Moore
    Honey Hive Farms "Saving the world one bee at a time"
    www.HoneyHiveFarms.com

European hornets will carry off bees to eat them. I have to stand by my hives about sunset and swat at them with a tennis racket.

No I don't treat for mites. I didn't think hives would abscond because of mites though, I thought they would just die.

Well maybe its not CCD. I actually would rather it was mites or something else fairly common and understood. It just seemed like it happened really fast.

A late summer to fall dwindling hive that is full of eggs is a pretty sure sign of mite collapse and you are quite correct it does happen pretty fast and catch even experienced beekeepers off guard. Within a month a hive can go from full of bees and brood to a small dwindling hive with a queen desperately trying to remedy the situation by laying more eggs.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

This has **all** the symptom expression of a mite collapse. You were given warning in the summer when you recorded mites and its accompanying DWV.

The real syndrome here is TFFT, or in the vernacular - "Treatment Free Fairy Tale" disease, and this affects beekeepers before it attacks the bees.

In my county, among my circle, foundationless comb does not prevent mites. I have no idea how the promoters of this "system" achieve their results, or even if the reported results are not just wishful thinking.

If you see mites in the summer, they are not just going to disappear. They are going to build to September, when with the cut-off of drone brood, and the generally shrinking brood nest, they are going explode on worker bees. If you see mites in the summer (with their virus load), and you want save the hive, you should treat. -- period, full stop, the end --

Honey Hive Farms,

Did you treat for mites? Looks or feels like they possibly absconded.

NOTE:
    If it were from wasp killing them there would be lots of bodies laying around they don't carry them off that I have ever heard of or seen
    When a bee has mites it is like a fist on your body so say it has 8 of them to carry around and then they go out to bring say pollen back, they get to tired to make it back to the hive.
    You need to read the comments above by Jim Lyon and JWChesnut.

[QUOTE=JWChestnut - In my county, among my circle, foundationless comb does not prevent mites. I have no idea how the promoters of this "system" achieve their results, or even if the reported results are not just wishful thinking.[/QUOTE]

Who is making this claim? I didn't read that on this thread....
    In my "country" I know of lots of survivor hives that survive the mites. It doesn't take chemical treatments; but maintenance and being proactive. Why do you need to be sarcastic about other's beliefs? I equate it to horseback riding; many strong opinions... you take what makes sense to you and spend years experiencing it. That is also part of the enjoyment of beekeeping but really; don't trash other's beliefs. It is insulting!

And to the original poster keep trying and figuring it all out; don't give up. I am glad I do not have to deal with hornets but we are fighting tons of yellow jackets this year. I just took a part a hive that absconded and now I'll freeze the resources for next year. Each spring brings new promise... K

P.S. PW... aren't your bees radioactive in Morro Bay?

Sounds like mites then. Other hives now are very weak as well now. Guess I have my answer.

Looks like total losses for me this year.
    Last edited by Barry; 10-05-2013 at 02:44 PM.

aerindel- you might want to edit your last post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast