Default Large September Swarm

Interesting thing yesterday. I got home and was sitting on my porch and noticed a HUGE swarm across the street in the woods high up in a pine tree. It was late and looking like rain so I am sure they stayed the night. I did a quick check my one bee hive and everything was normal and all accounted for. I suspect this is a wild swarm that just gave up the fight with beetles and no honey. I am worried today they may make a bee line for mine and try and take over. Hate I am at work. I reduced the entrance to help. I also put out a bait hive with bee lure in their path to mine last night. I have just never seen such a large swarm this late in the year. We will see what happens. Crazy year for bees here.
    \"Plant Your Corn Early\" Jed Clampett

Default Re: Large September Swarm

We've been getting lot's of overcrowding swarms in my area lately - I know it's nowhere near Georgia. We had a ton of rain and the bees have built up like crazy!
    NM desert/mountain beekeeper - Black Mesa Honeybees.

Yea, we have had a record year for rain and cool temps. Well the swarm spent another night in the rain. Yesterday I took a closer look with the binoculars and thought I saw some comb to, that would be a shame. Only thing is there was not much movement. If it was comb I thought I saw, it would have been more movement. Think if they are there this afternoon I may get some string and see if I can throw it over the limb, then pull a rope over and shake them up a bit. Maybe they will move to a lower location and I can get them. They may not give it up if there is comb though. Doubt I can get them through the winter. The golden rod is in full bloom here and there would not be time for them to build up enough stores. Just hate to see a good swarm not make it.

Not a swarm, more like a 30' high oberservation hive. I will keep this updated to see how it works out for them. Guess they do not have problems with hive beetles this way. :-) I can watch it from my porch every day just wonder what to do if it falls.
    Attached Images Attached Images