Default To Late to Re-queen?

I have two Italian hives, live in very northern Minnesota, a friend has a nice Carni queen he doesn't need. I would like to have Carni's since I think they winter better, is it too late to re-queen one of my hives? I assume I would locate one of the Italian queens, capture her, wait 2 days and introduce the Carni queen with candy plug. Check in a few days to make sure she is released, and dispatch the Italian queen.

Also, which hive should I re-queen hive #1 is 2 deeps with 1 medium super pretty well ready for winter, hive #2 is 2 deeps with 1 medium with only a couple of frames of honey in the super, the deeps are pretty heavy. I will take the super off that hive and fill out the other hive medium and go into winter with just 2 deeps. Both hives have good brood patterns. I am feeding to get them up to winter weight.

I appreciate your input, I am a new beek.

Default Re: To Late to Re-queen?

You didn't say if she is mated or virgin. If mated your plan seems reasonable to me. Just make sure she is laying and accepted before dispatching your Italian. If virgin you may not have drones to mate with.

She mated, she came from a nuc that he used to supplement other hives. Your right all the drones have been kicked out, that was interesting to watch.

I would pick the slacker - the one that did not fill the medium.

I am not sure if you have at least a month with days in the 50s, so the Carni could get at least a round of her own brood. Otherwise, she'll be carried through the winter based on your Italian queen's work (Italian offspring). Meaning, if it gets cold quick and she makes it, you wouldn't know if she has good wintering genes or not. Might make a difference if you are planning on breeding from her.