Thread: Chinese Elm

Default Chinese Elm

Tried to upload a picture, and may try again.
    I have 4 hives - this has been a fair year at best. I did harvest honey from all 4 , but they had begun taking honey down themselves by the end of July and August was DRY. Goldenrod and Asters are "so-so" right now, but today I went out in the back yard and thought I heard a swarm in a tree, looked up and the tree (we call it a Chinese Elm) is FULL of bees all heavy with pollen on their sacs and hopefully sucking up nectar! Had not noted this in year's past and had not seen any postings on the forum , though I will now do a search and see what people have said about this tree in the Fall. I sure hope it helps fill up some light hives this week. I'm feeding 2:1 but was hoping to get them to store up their own as much as possible.
    Also have 1 other question that I may get some help with. I had some honey supers on my hives after I harvested and left for a the bees to clean up - I probably left them 3 weeks and now know that was too long - I want to take them off and have put the top board under them for the bees to hopefully take the honey down into the hive that they have capped in the honey supers. Should I scrape the cappings as well?

Default Re: Chinese Elm

Your bees will not be getting any nectar from the elm (it's wind pollinated), although the pollen is very high in protien when compared to other types of pollen, so keep feeding.

I have never had to scrape to get them to clean out supers. They do a good job at uncapping it on their own. If they are not working the supers, they are still working on a better natural nectar flow.