Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bee sting

Default Bee sting

My bees don't try to sting me at all. Don't know why I need to put on a suit. I don't need gloves.

Default Re: Bee sting

Your lucky I started with just a veil but mine got a little nasty and I switched to full suit. I got to keep the bees and my wife is happy.

Gene
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 09-08-2013 at 07:37 AM.

You are lucky. Eventually one will get you. I had one today trying to stretch her stinger as far as she could through my veil. She was pretty determined.

Thousands and thousands of bees and it only takes one!

I don't think you're lucky, I think you're in for a surprise!

your right about that eventually they will get you, but it comes with the job stings Aug 2013 (2).jpgJune 2013 (1).jpgJul 2014 (1).jpg
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 09-08-2013 at 07:35 AM.

I thought the same my 1st year too. Once food becomes nil they become more defensive. I also seem to get stung after 4pm when everyone is coming home and there's more bees home to alarm.

Once your hive gets bigger they will get stronger and have more guard bees. However, if you are sensible and at least use a veil and smoker then the number of stings will not be too bad.

Also, pick your time to go into the hive. Well into a warm day is best as most of the field bees are out and they can be nasty if they wish. Most of all keep calm!!
    Cheers
    Rob

Yes, thank you. Always bee prepared!

Don't be stupid, always wear your veil! Working bees without a veil is like driving your car without wearing your seat belt. You are not planning on having an accident, but you wear your belt just to be safe, same with the veil.

That's right, that's right, that's right! Good to always be prepared.

Took two hits over the weekend both from my calmest hive.... Once on the finger tip (no swelling, but the tip is still sore) and once to my bearded jaw, no swelling again, very unusual normally I swell quite a bit..... The jaw hit was the day after working the girls so no veil and I wasn't really near the hive either. Oh well it happens move on or change job/hobbies. :-P

My bees have been really gentle this year, so I've done about 80% with no veil or jacket on.
    If I'm not wearing it, it's always right beside me, with a lit smoker.
    It's like the a lion tamers whip and chair.

Although my bees have been really gentle, I went in on Friday with a veil, jacket, smoker and no gloves.
    Got stung 4 times on 1 hive.
    Always have your veil within easy reach.

I rarely use my smoker and rarely get stung. Last weds I was going through a hive that has been miserable all summer, halfway through the last box they rose up in mass and came after me.I took about 2 dzn stings on my arms and legs. I usually only wear a long sleeved shirt and jeans,before I could get the hive closed up, I put on a pair of my husband jeans over mine and a flannel lined nylon jacket over my shirt! I always have my face and hands protected.
    Meridith
    I am frequently confused!

My full suit has an extremely useful secondary purpose. It's a tick barrier. Ticks are easy to spot and remove(I use a bit of tape). In the spring I've come in with a dozen ticks on my suit.

I'm like the op....unless I have the Stihl weed eater in the garden! I got popped seven times in the face and head yesterday. Stay Puff marshmallow man today. They HATE that danged weed eater! I foolishly set my hives up on block in the garden last year and I've got to keep it trimmed underneath nice and short so the hive beetles don't have it too easy getting to the good stuff. I can do almost anything I like to the hive but when I grab the weed eater I end up a pin cushion!

Get a cheap veil and short gloves at least. It's not just to provide some minor protection, but to keep you from over reacting when you do get hit and possibly hurting yourself or others....or the girls. What if you get zapped several times at once while holding a frame or an entire box? Your protection is also for the girls best interest.

Ha Ha! I am going to use the weed eater around the hives soon. I have to cut down some weeds close to the hives. I'll find out what the bees do!

Talk about lucky. Mine attack me like maniacs. You would think I was killing them by the thousands the way they react. I wouldn't even think about going in there without gloves. Ungrateful little buggers. LOL

Your "luck" will run out, guaranteed.
    I went to check on the hives yesterday and didn't get closer that twenty feet when out of nowhere came one bee hellbent for leather and stung me right on the nose!
    NO warning, No buzz by, No nothing.
    Brings tears to your eyes I tell ya!

Quote Originally Posted by gonzoBee View Post
    your right about that eventually they will get you, but it comes with the job
    OW!!! How did that happen? Were you working with bees or just in the area? Protected, unprotected?

Try eating a banana while your weed eating Jimmy , but atleast wear your veil so u dont end up blind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast