Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Hot room bee window

Im thinking of building a bee vac, as the shop vac is a real bruiser on the bees. Any suggestions that would improve most of what I find on the web?
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Have you tried the old fashioned tin bee escapes, with the two metal flat springs inside? We have one window, cracked open a few inches, with an old bee escape sewn in the top of the screen. A frame hung outside the window seems to attract those that make it out, and can be used to stock nucs.

Crazy Roland

where might a guy find those old tin bee escapes? I remember running into one 15 years back as I was getting into this business and buying up some old beekeepers misc equipment from around in the area. First time I actually seen a bee escape board, did not work very well at all. The new design is much more efficient.
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Not sure if this is what you are asking for but it has worked for me twice, unfortunately i left the door open twice. so after extracting honey for a friend I roll up the big door to load out his 10 supers. go inside to grab something and wife tells me that lunch is ready. So with my expert ADD skills i think yummy! go outside 40min later to a couple thousand bees in shop on the open extractor and cappings. Suited up and tried blower and other methods. finally just shut the door then all the bees went for the lights turned them off and they went to the window. So now i know they were going for the light. Took plywood in this case and covered the window from outside. cracked the man door about 1/2" and in 30 min the bees were gone.

Second time one of the kids left a door open but same solution worked. Maybe have something to cover up the light from windows on the outside. Blacken out the hot room and crack a window or door to show the way out.
    Later when I was in my shop with it all blacked out i thought it must look like a hive with the only light shining from the entrance.

I've messed with all the above. I just let the bees collect on the window until there's a big enough cluster to bother with. I then soak them down with garden hose. Brush them into plastic corrugated box(waterproof, actually an old single colony winter hive rap). Dump them in front of hive or make up new hive with caged queen and feeder. Only takes a couple of minutes and can do it wearing shorts if careful.
    Bill Russell
    Strum, Wi.; Eustis Fl.

This is Bee VAc I just finished but haven't used yet.

P1010228.jpgP1010227.jpg

Essentilly a super with ??4 frames installed and two outer covers, sized to super dimensions. Can vary the air flow bt rotating sliding plexiglass on front top opening. Hole is large enough to install a feeder jar. Need tape on seams to get enough suction.

Allows one some time to let bees settle in(screen in inlet central vac hose opening) and should be easy transfer to bottom board and top covers or whatever you desire.
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

That's awesome, thanks for those pictures! That is the perfect design. Is your hose corrugated inside or smooth?

The inlet hose is from the house central vacuum. It is fairly smooth on the inside.

On the look out for a coupler to fit the hose end and then add ??20ft of central vac pvc piping. The coupling needs to be smooth as a sharp edge is really hard on the bees. May be able to duct tape together a piece of long narrow plastic funnel to transition from pvc pipe to central vacuum hose.

Had a 2012 experience of a swarm about 40 ft in a spruce tree!?!?!?!?
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

I use the 2 1/2" Ridgid Shop vac hoses from home depot and they are smooth enough to not damage bees. The extension pipes are handy to couple together for high up swarms. I did two this year with about five extensions and two hoses standing on a ladder. Tough on the neck and arms for a weakling like me but they got the swarms. I am now using the Bushkill top and bottom for even shaked swarms. Then I can vac up the stragglers easily.

Ian, I quickly looked around the shop today, and did not find any metal queen escapes. Kelly has plastic ones, don't know how they are made. I will continue to look. Have not used them since the 60's.

Crazy Roland

did they work for you very well?
    www.stepplerfarms.com

The only bee escape that I found works in my extracting room are the mesh cones.

The metal bee escape sewn in the window screen seems to work. If I had to do it again, it is what I would use. I noticed that a pattern of small holes was drilled in the upper metal to make a "bright" spot at the beginning of the spring cone. I will have to ask the Bull of the Woods if he has some hidden somewhere.

Crazy Roland

we turn the lights off and plug in 2 heavy duty hot flood lights, kills all the bees when they go to it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12