Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Mistints

5K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  minz 
#1 ·
How many of you use mistints for painting hives? I can get mistints for $3 per gallon at my local Sherwin Williams. Can't beat that!

#2 ·
People comment that my boxes are very colorful. I tell them that's because I buy every gallon of quality exterior paint at Home Depot, and Lowes, that they call "oops" paint I can find. $7 a gallon for the best exterior Behr paint that usually costs $39 is tough to beat.

#3 ·
I get oops for zero, just give my paint guys a bit of honey and they give me all their oops. I only take the exterior grade, some of this stuff is really good. I also use a Graco airless for applying and a few coats does wonders and the time involved is minimal. Get ready for the winter Ben, Average Dec temp here is about 80. Oops

#8 ·
I am all over mis tints! My hives this year were colored dog poop. I got some sand color and some dark color that I use for bases and bottom boards. I got a habitat for humanitiy that is selling 5 gallons of white for $20, I am actually thinking of painting my hive white for the first time ever.
I wish I could find primer as cheap as the oops paint. What do you guys do for primer?

#9 ·
I use mistinted solid latex stain as primer. The can says it can be used on bare wood, and the latex paint can says it can be used over latex stain. And there always seems to be mistinted latex stain at Menards (more so than the latex paint it seems). It seems to work quite well. I've never had the paint peal on a box I used latex stain as the primer. I don't care for the semi-transparent stain though. It just doesn't seem to be as thick as the solid color stain.

I'd feel silly paying $5 or less for a gallon of good quality paint, then quite a bit more for primer.

Once in a blue moon I luck into a can of mistinted primer or an exterior primer and paint in one.

#11 ·
Our dump collects the paints and recycles it. It is supposed to be as good as off the shelf for $10 a gallon, exterior for about a few basic colors.
I am going to keep my eyes peeled for latex stain, glad I asked! I am using lowes bullseye for $18 for 2 gallons.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.