Thread: Wax MothDamage

Default Wax MothDamage

How much wax moth damage will the bees be able to repair. We normally do not have wax moths at all. This year with our abnormally warm summer I found out the hard way we can get them here. We had a few supers that did not get put on hives, and low and behold I found a few wax moths. There is some tunneling, a little webbing, and some frass.
    Dave

Default Re: Wax MothDamage

I have found that a strong colony, during a honey flow, can quickly clean-up and repair frames that are extensively damaged by wax moth larvae.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

As Joseph said, a good colony can clean it up quick. I had vandals knock over a large hive a few weeks ago and I was hoping it would pull itself together but when I inspected it today I could already find wax moth infestation. Take care of the comb if the bees cannot.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Freeze some of the comb for 24hrs to kill the larvae and help the bees with the workload.

I saw a moth during the last inspection. I don't see any damage anywhere in my frames but I did see some maggots in my oil pan. Without a magnifying glass I don't know if they were from moths or shb's. I still have them in the oil but not sure it really matters. If there are preserved I guess I could i.d. them with a magnifying glass.

Gene