Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Help! Help!

5K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  marshmasterpat 
#1 ·
I am posting here because I began here with questions about a swarm, a lovely lady Beverly gave me a five frame nuk in trade for five empty frames....successfully transferred and working their new hive. Now the owners of our neighboring business (who was cool with all of this to begin with) is now freaking out because the uncle of one of his son's girlfriends just passed from (no lie) being stung by a swarm of bees. It was in the roof of an old shed and he was removing the plywood ceiling when it collapsed upon him and the bees went berserk. Now this guy is freaking about MY bees which are so nice and sweet, I can walk right up to the hive and observe without so much as a head butt.
Now here's the question: is there ANYONE ANYWHERE in South Florida that would allow me to keep my hive on their property? Right now it's only a 10 frame deep with landing board and lid. I'll split hives, give you brood, comb, make queen for you, pay you to rent a space, whatever it takes. I just want to honor the wonderful deed that Ms. Beverly (bevvy's honeybees) did for me, and to honor the fact that this was her "pay it forward" moment. I simply just can't let them go. They were a gift, and I am in love with my bees. Is there someone who would be kind enough to help a girl out? I had a swarm, and on the day of trapout, they absconded....bees replaced by amazing woman, now have to move them! Will I ever catch a break?! :s:(

#7 ·
I mean I feel bad for what happened to the uncle, I really do. But the fact that the man had no experience, no protection, and was doing the work BY HIMSELF was a recipe for disaster as we all know too well. I hate to say it but it was sort of his fault. But I certainly cannot say that to our neighbor, he'll think I'm an insensitive jerk. So I guess it's up to the authorities and a piece of paper to get the man off my back. I WILL KEEP MY BEES DARN IT!!

#8 ·
Have you verified the story about the uncle? Maybe I am just a skeptical person, but that seems like it would have made big news; just like the couple and their horses did a couple months back. I am suspicious of their story and wonder if it is simply a tactic. Just sayin . . .

#9 ·
Unfortunately I have no way to verify the story. The uncle lives out of state and the wife of the owner made a point to stop by my office and say what a good son she had because he was driving the girlfriend to the funeral. They have no idea who they are dealing with...I may look small and weak, but don't mess with me!!

#13 ·
Pops: the issue is with the pre-emption law. We thought that the legislature had said that no municipality, county, homeowners association or other entity could pass any law or regulation limiting beekeeping within its area. However, the city of Johnson City continues to prevent beekeeping. The mayor even came to one of our meetings and basically said that the law does not say what we think it says. His argument is that the law does not disallow zoning regulations from stopping someone from having beehives. In other words, he says you must live in an agricultural zone. If you live in a resdential zone, then the zoning regulations pre-empt the state law that pre-empts the local laws. Sound nutty? I think so, too. I don't think live in Johnson City but if I did I would set up more beehives because I believe the JC mayor is just wrong on this. -js

#14 ·
The text of the [updated] Tennessee Apiary Act of 1995 can be found here:

http://www.tn.gov/agriculture/publications/regulatory/tennessee%20apiary%20act.pdf

Note in particular section:

44-15-124. Restrictions on keeping honeybees in hives.

and the "grandfather" date of June 10 2011.

The document is a PDF. In most cases, you can search PDF documents by using "Control F" to bring up a search box. Type in "zoning" to locate the section cited above.

#15 ·
Thanks, Rader for the reminder. I'd seen that before. Of course, the issue really is (as I and others in my club see it, anyway) is that that one phrase about the zoning really negates the remainder of the section (44-15-124). Limitations on beekeeping (or any other agricultural pursuit) is likely to be done through zoining, anyway). Beekeepers in TN really need to get this fixed via the legislature, IMO. -js

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.