Thread: Help! Help!

Hybrid View

Exclamation Help! Help!

I am posting here because I began here with questions about a swarm, a lovely lady Beverly gave me a five frame nuk in trade for five empty frames....successfully transferred and working their new hive. Now the owners of our neighboring business (who was cool with all of this to begin with) is now freaking out because the uncle of one of his son's girlfriends just passed from (no lie) being stung by a swarm of bees. It was in the roof of an old shed and he was removing the plywood ceiling when it collapsed upon him and the bees went berserk. Now this guy is freaking about MY bees which are so nice and sweet, I can walk right up to the hive and observe without so much as a head butt.
    Now here's the question: is there ANYONE ANYWHERE in South Florida that would allow me to keep my hive on their property? Right now it's only a 10 frame deep with landing board and lid. I'll split hives, give you brood, comb, make queen for you, pay you to rent a space, whatever it takes. I just want to honor the wonderful deed that Ms. Beverly (bevvy's honeybees) did for me, and to honor the fact that this was her "pay it forward" moment. I simply just can't let them go. They were a gift, and I am in love with my bees. Is there someone who would be kind enough to help a girl out? I had a swarm, and on the day of trapout, they absconded....bees replaced by amazing woman, now have to move them! Will I ever catch a break?!

Default Re: Help! Help!

I can't offer you a Florida location.

But, if your hive is registered with the state, you have a neighbor problem, not a bee problem. See post #3 of this thread:
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...law#post872398
    Graham
    --- HVAC design via ESP ... Who'd a thunk it ...

Not registered yet, as it's only weeks old. I have no idea what to do!!

Register. It looks like FL has preempted local governments. We thought that TN had done the same thing but now there is some question. Hope that is not the case in FL. -james

Email has been put out for inspection and registration appointment...wish me luck guys! I'm not going to let him stop me!

Quote Originally Posted by kopelia View Post
    Email has been put out for inspection and registration appointment...wish me luck guys! I'm not going to let him stop me!
    Good, don't let them stop you! People want to try to control everything. Fight them... And good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by dixiebooks View Post
    Register. It looks like FL has preempted local governments. We thought that TN had done the same thing but now there is some question. Hope that is not the case in FL. -james
    So what is the question with the TN law. Can we get this fixed? What needs to be done?

Pops: the issue is with the pre-emption law. We thought that the legislature had said that no municipality, county, homeowners association or other entity could pass any law or regulation limiting beekeeping within its area. However, the city of Johnson City continues to prevent beekeeping. The mayor even came to one of our meetings and basically said that the law does not say what we think it says. His argument is that the law does not disallow zoning regulations from stopping someone from having beehives. In other words, he says you must live in an agricultural zone. If you live in a resdential zone, then the zoning regulations pre-empt the state law that pre-empts the local laws. Sound nutty? I think so, too. I don't think live in Johnson City but if I did I would set up more beehives because I believe the JC mayor is just wrong on this. -js