Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Easy Money!! Easy Money!!

Quote Originally Posted by loggermike View Post
    Sorry Harry, Sounds like it was 'worse'!

The deal with Millers hives was a spray rig snagged it and dragged it.Someone should start a thread called 'Hits I have taken while getting rich(or broke) in the bee business' or something like that. Sometimes it seems like everything is out to 'get' the bees.
    Sounds like a good idea, I'm sure everyone has a horror story in them. When disaster strikes!!!
    Will Gruenwald Chilliwack BC

CCD, Pesticides, Mites, Nosema, Crappy Queens, Poor Nutrition; What other easy, easy, issues contribute to the annual waterfall of cash that commercial bee keepers enjoy?

So, you deliver strong, healthy hives into a crop and when you return to check what do you find?
    Well,,, I'm not sure what you find.
    Some idiot, loser has (no it was not a bear) cut your straps and thrown boxes, kicked over boxes, rolled boxes.
    But they took nothing.
    WHY? No one knows.
    But of course, it was during a rainy period. So by the time you caught it your bees are in poor shape.
    EASY MONEY!! EEEEEEEEEEEEASY MONEY!!
    I have exactly ONE hive more than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond question.

I'm working on my second million dollars that I am making from beekeeping........I GAVE UP ON THE FIRST MILLION!

Good thing that didnt happen in a month or so when all you commercial guys are in Europe or in the middle of the Pacific on a fancy cruise ship. What would you have done then?
    Count your blessings!

I got my first call like that this year, maybe I am going to be big time like Harry!
    ‘Sorry to bother you but the water trailer with totes of water broke free on the way through the gate and ran over your hives. I had to dump the water to get the trailer out of the hole do you want to come out now or wait until morning?’
    what a mess.
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

"...I will tell a story and it is a true one. A number of years ago a man came to see me who was conductor on a passenger train. He had held that position for 25 years and had laid up some money. He said, "I think I have served the people long enough as I have worked hard as conductor. I have about decided to buy a little farm and about 500 colonies of bees and just take life easy and let the bees work for me. What do you think of it?" I replied, "As conductor you just think you've been working. Now if you want to know what work really is you get 500 colonies, do all the work yourself, then you will realize that as conductor you just thought you were working." He insisted there could not be much work caring for bees. All there was to it, you just put on the supers and when filled take them off and people would come running for the honey. He may have been reading an advertisement of a supply manufacturer that ran something like this, "Costs little to start. Practically all profit. No experience needed. Very little work," etc."--Jay Smith, Better Queens

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesbetterq...Mating%20Hives
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

That must be a well known story Micheal. My friend was telling me about that one too. Unfortunatley, since all this media hype on the bees, every man and his foolish thoughts come running out to "strike it rich" making "easy money" in the "soft cushy job" of beekeeping.

We have a fella here local who has thought the same way. He hasn't a clue how to keep bees or whats involved to keep them alive through the winter let alone produce a crop and this year he has just found out that he is riddled with EFB. Thankfully he's not near my yards.

I think we will see an increase in various diseases like this from people who want to do there part in keeping bees. They are well meaning but very uneducated.
    Will Gruenwald Chilliwack BC

There are folks here on beesource who say it cost nothing to get into beekeeping. That's nothing new. There are even people who start Threads like I wanna be a commercial beekeeper. Sorry, but my attitude is that they probably don't know what they are talking about. Those new boxes and new trucks are not as easily come by as they seem to those who don't know.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Quote Originally Posted by chillardbee View Post
    he has just found out that he is riddled with EFB.
    Hang on to your shorts.... your going to be hearing alot more of this in the furture.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Jarrett View Post
    Hang on to your shorts.... your going to be hearing alot more of this in the furture.
    Sorry I'm derailing.
    Hearing more of EFB or beekeepers getting in over thier heads?
    Is EFB becoming more prevalent ?
    How is it identified early and treated?

Those pics made me nauseous and they arent even mine.

One year I had 3 loads of bees pollinating carrots 185 miles from home in the desert.
    When your bees are released the first thing is to confirm that they will be acsessable when you get there.
    "Hey, this is Harry Vanderpool! I need to pull the bees out of field #25 tomorow. Is the coast clear?"
    The grower answers, " It's a freeway!"
    " O.K, I will pull them out tomorrow evening!"

The mud was 10" deep and the water was still on when I arrived.
    Easy money! Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeasy money!!
    I have exactly ONE hive more than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond question.

Where's that hot rod at Harry? I was hoping for a pic of a twenty foot roster tail behind ole blue flame.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Easy money, easy money. Yep...........Right!!!!!!!!...........?

This new and upcoming trend in beekeeping about being horizontally integrated needs be better defined before people take it to seriously like you have. That or it looks like the top bar hive people from the "natural" forum are trying to help "convert" you.

As the old song goes: Nothing like a little help from my friends...........And here I thought I was the only one who found out that "bears" happen to drive tractors like a drunken sailor on his first day of leave.

"Nothing like a little help from my friends."? Was that by the Rowling Beetles?
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Who/where was it implied that it would be easy money? or easy work? Not sure I found that thread...

LOL Harry,

Reminds of a few conversations I had with our farm manager....

"Hi, we're going to be harvesting the next few days, please do no irrigate the field..." Sure thing they reply, show up at 5:30am the next day and watch the crew slip and slide in the first 10 feet of mud for 5 minutes before calling it a day......

> Who/where was it implied that it would be easy money?

Here's a thread that covers some unrealistic expectations. And the phrase "easy money" is explicitly mentioned in at least one post.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...00-hives/page4

Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 10-03-2013 at 01:02 PM. Reason: typo
    ultracrepidarian >> noting or pertaining to a person who criticizes, judges, or gives advice outside of his expertise

its really easy were just a bunch of complainers

Honey Hive Farms,

Who said it was easy work, taking care of that many girls,,, really
    Then you have mother nature, she can be very mean..
    And then there is farther time, again not a nice guy...

You must love it to do it and be successful..with a little luck.

Tim Moore
    Honey Hive Farms "Saving the world one bee at a time"
    www.HoneyHiveFarms.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast