Default The World is getting old.

The wife bought us tickets to a Gordon Lightfoot concert for my birthday present. He is 76 and the voice is thinning but it was more than OK I guess. Audience looked like an undertakers waiting room and I fit right in. I kept thinking of Ricky Nelson's song Garden Party and then I realize most of the artists I really liked are dead. Joplin, both of them;Hendrix, Chapin, Stan Rodgers, and on and on. Was a great gift, It doesn't take up room and I won't have to worry about what to do with it.

Default Re: The World is getting old.

How did "Sundown" sound?

Some of those old voices need to take up beekeeping instead of singing, based on some of them I have heard lately.

Fairly breathless. The best songs were new ones designed for his limitations. But he is doing what he loves and the house was full.
    Quote Originally Posted by stajerc61 View Post
    How did "Sundown" sound?

The cream of the bunch stand out for sure. I hear a lot of older artists that need to find something else to do. Recently I heard Boz Scaggs. Still holds his own.
    Regards, Barry

wish i could have made it up for that one. i saw merle haggard this summer in white sulfur springs. he got the name of his band wrong but every song was perfect.

Thanks Jeff that's a good song, but I am more of an "ice tea and cornbread took the place of 90 proof" kind of guy on birthdays now. Never was much for pills but take five kinds now!

I'm moving toward ice tea and cornbread myself There's room for some mead and beer on occasion. I looked up Gordon Lightfoot 2013 to see him and he is still getting it done. I can see why you like him. Many of the greats have passed but there are still some around. We saw Willie Nelson at farm aid and he was awesome. That's what made me think of Waylon. Willie just turned 80 and he is still sounding great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ref4TUtquus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xltt9Na5Ry4
    Last edited by virginiawolf; 09-24-2013 at 05:08 PM. Reason: One More Saturday Night

I know this thread is a few weeks old - but last year I saw Arlo Guthrie and Family and I think he is on to something. Arlo sang some of his old standards and then had his kids (daughter Sarah is quite a singer) and grandkids perform. It was enough Arlo to make me and my wife happy and a good introduction to his musical family.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com