Thread: Molly

Default Molly

It's never easy to put a dog down and today we had to let Molly go. She came to us a few years ago after a terribly abusive life as a breeder poodle. She had been caged and bred and abused for all her adult life. All 6 pounds of her. We rescued her with the intention of just fostering for a while and I remember driving her home and watching the fleas crawl over her sparse hair. I thought to myself that she was lucky but I knew from other rescues that we were the lucky ones.

My wife, who has a sense about these things, looked over at me and said "I think we should keep this one". That made it six dogs in our house which, if you love critters like we do, isn't really so much. What's one more warm body to cuddle with; one more personality to fill a big house; one more of "our own". I don't have to tell you that hearts never fill up, they fill in. There's always room.

Molly was the smallest and the bravest. We called her the "Regulator". When the other dogs were having a little TOO much fun, Molly would jump down from her perch at the top of the sofa and bark at each dog until they found their manners. Molly ran the fastest in (or on) the deepest snow and always managed to wiggle her way on to someone's lap just as desert was being served. None of us....none.....would turn her away. She was the only one of our dogs that actually WANTED to meet the feral barn cats and probably would have put them in place if she had too. My son would take her out to the barn and put her in his lap where she would wag her tail eagerly hoping to see a cat and make a new friend. She had probably grown up around cats and liked them.

A few months ago she developed a lump on her neck. The wonderful vet we see so much knew right away that it was not going to be easy. We had it removed but it came back with a vengeance. In the last few weeks she had trouble swallowing and breathing. She managed to put on a great effort this past Sunday when company came over and broke bread with our family. We didn't have to say that it was probably a goodbye supper for her visiting friends. She was a champ, quietly sitting on each lap while they petted her bony back and sides.

Molly's weight dropped to barely four pounds and today she was clearly struggling all the time. She was restless but exhausted. It was time. The vet gave her something to relax her and she rested her head in my hand. The resident cat there jumped on the table and meowed as Molly looked over with a twinkle in her eye. Then, she was gone.

We took Molly home laid her to rest next to the barn and under the big, flat rock that the cats like to rest on. The cancer had ravaged her and it hurt us to see what she had lived through. Yet it was clear that nothing in her disease had touched her heart, her soul nor her spirit which now lives on in all of us.

I know that many of you have pets and love them as I do Molly. So, be grateful you have them, understand how grateful they are to have you and keep my Molly in your hearts for a little while.

Thanks,

Jeff
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Default Re: Molly

These losses leave a void, don't they. Molly was blessed to have finally found a home with you!
    Regards, Barry

Sorry for your loss. Molly loved you dearly. She'll always have a place in your heart.

There's a special place in heaven for people who care for animals that have been abandoned or abused.
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

Sorry to hear. Y'all hang in there.
    Old Guy in Alabama

Jeff, I am so sorry for your loss. Loosing a pet is like loosing a member of the family. I lost a German Shepard that I had for years and years he was my best friend. On our first anniversary my wife and I came home from a weekend get a way and I found him lifeless. My wife thought she was going to have to call the rescue squad because I was taking it really bad. I had a special bond with him because he was the runt of the litter and I had to hand feed him because his mother had kick him out of the litter and would not feed him. Later on I had the flu and developed a real high fever during the night and he slept beside me on the floor beside my bed. He kept touching my face with his nose and when my fever got really high while I was asleep he barked in my ear to wake me. I believe he was returning the favor that I did for him.
    I still believe animals do go to heaven.
    You and your family are special and the world needs more people like you. I will keep you and molly in my thoughts.
    Chip

Heaven is where we all go to be with all the dogs we've ever loved.

I lost two this summers with some kind of nasty immune deficiency. Both bloated up in their abdomens and bled out. Murphy was such a good boy, and Chuck died in my arms. Brings tears to my eyes telling you about. God, please allow me into heaven to see them again.

Thanks for sharing that experience, it was nice to read. It is important for me to be reminded that there is a lot of good around, even though at times there doesn't seem to be. I am sorry for your loss.

It is amazing how much more joy we get out of the act of giving. The bitterness of loss is a reflection of the quality of what we had to lose. Our own old lady, Lelu, is heading in the same direction, diabetic and blind, but still is out of pain and getting joy from life. They are amazing creatures and bring such joy and pleasure to our lives. My sympathies.
    Last edited by RiodeLobo; 10-25-2013 at 03:20 PM.
    Dan Hayden 4 Years. 12 hives. Tx Free. USDA Zone 5b.

6 years ago I got a seeing eye dog from the "Seeing Eye." Phoebe. She had all her training and was in the "get acquainted period" with her new owner. In this time, she hesitated in traffic and they had to flunk her out of the program. Well, SE puts these dogs up for adoption and I was on the adoption list........and she was mine!

I got a perfectly trained German Shepherd who thought I was blind! I never took Phoebe for a walk, she took me. When I first got her and was walking behind her on the sidewalk, there were some trees that had branches hanging over the sidewalk. She looked at the branches, looked at me, saw that I would hit my head on the branches then proceeded to pull me off the sidewalk onto the grass and around the tree then back onto the sidewalk once we had cleared the tree!!!! I was just amazed. She was the only dog I ever had (and I had many) who was trained to go to the bathroom.............. on COMMAND! She was also trained to understand hand signals....I'd be across the street talking with my neighbor with her on my side of the street... standing and looking. All I had to do was point to the ground and down she went.

When you have a well trained dog with a heart of gold, your life is almost complete. Phoebe died of cancer two years ago. I have tears in my eyes writing this so I KNOW how you feel Jeff.

I pray that it as they say "That all dogs go to heaven." and that we as owners one day will meet with them again.
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the Varrox OA Vaporizer,
    "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

I understand your sadness....and share my sympathy.
    I lost Tasha a few months ago. She came up my driveway as a pup, with ribs showing about fourteen years ago. She was surely the gold standard to my thinking. I don’t ever recall driving up that she didn’t come out to greet me. She would look around on her way to the truck and finally find a twig, leaf, scrap of paper…or always something to bring along…like a welcome home gift. Lordy…I miss those greetings.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Thanks for sharing Molly with us. I'm glad she had you to make her happy....

Dogs are seemingly incapable of hate and have an unrelenting desire to forgive and to please. I thin kthis is why all dogs go to heaven. We've been blessed with dogs of all sorts from hunters, to lap dogs. They came from breeders, humaine societies, and off of the streets. Somehow, the rescued dogs always manage to touch a certain spot in our hearts, and I know this to be the case for many otehrs as well.

Nothing can be said to fill the hole it leaves in you when they pass on, but take solice in the fact that you molly got to live a portion of yor lives together. Good dogs and good people have a way of finding each other in the most unlikely of places. We'll keep you in our thoughts and prayers.