Hybrid View

Exclamation Fair Warning About this type Entrance / Mouse Guard / Queen trap

As the cold season quickly approaches, I decided to install these mouse guards on my hive. It turned out to be a really bad idea because approx. 4 days later I went for a regular check up & found the majority to be plugged almost solid with dead bees. I think they render the undertaker task almost impossible so it ends up plugging the hive with a wall of bodies. I also noticed drones that had return for their daily mating flight stuck out at the front getting fed through the guard by workers... If you're a new beekeeper like me, don't make this mistake.

untitled.png

Default Re: Fair Warning About this type Entrance / Mouse Guard / Queen trap

Those are queen excluders, not mouse guards. Will keep mated queens and drones from passing through. It's also upside down.

Well That's what its described as in this link (mouse guard / Queen Trap (as seen in the thread title))... So how's a new beekeeper suppose to know of that potential risk? (of a wall of dead bees severely obstructing the entrance)

http://www.fwjones.com/beekeeping/hi...ories-138.aspx
    Last edited by Yvesrow1; 09-22-2013 at 12:57 PM. Reason: improperly explained

> Well That's what its described as in this link... So how's a noob suppose to know?

Well, here is what the description of the product actually says:

Confines the queen to the hive and keeps mice out.
    Graham
    -- The real problem is not precise language, it's clear language. - Richard Feynman

Easy mistake to make I think, after your drones are gone you could use it as a mouse excluder but that is not its primary use

welcome to the wonderful world of beekeeping. every time I make a mistake I learn several new things.
    thats the way i roll.

Take it easy on them Frank I see nothing wrong with their website they seem pretty honest and legit to me

"Thank You for taking interest in our Website and furthermore into the products section.

We’re currently not selling any product as we’re still in the building block stages of our apiary. Significant expansions are planned for spring 2014 & we’ll be using all resources & purchasing many more NUCS to expand. By-products such as honey & wax will hopefully be for sale fall 2014"
    Last edited by Barry; 09-22-2013 at 09:13 PM.