Default Will Field Peas Hybridize?/Pea Shellers?

Got a weird question that even Google won't seem to answer. I planted some crowder peas right next to purple-hull peas. If I save seed, from each will I get crowders and purple-hulls next year, or will I get some sort of a hybrid?

Second, I sure got worn out shelling peas this year. Has anybody tried any of the mechanical pea shellers and have any suggestions on those for next year?

Thanks,

Neil

Default Re: Will Field Peas Hybridize?/Pea Shellers?

Neil,
    I have a "F" Gleaner that will make quick work out of your patch!
    Your peas should be a mix.

Myron, next bee club meeting we need to talk "F" Gleaners, whatever that is. My peas went nuts this year. I'm about to turn into a pea I've eaten so many, and I cooked and froze and just froze quite a bit more. But they are delicious.

On the peas, all the crowder peas I harvested look like crowder peas and all the purple hulls look like purple hulls. Will they produce peas that look like them, or will it be all scrambled up.

Thanks, and hope to see you next month.

Neil

Neil,
    My "F Gleaner" is a 20' combine.
    Did your bees work the peas?

We have 60 acres of "Iron Clay" variety of cow peas that were planted in mid July, they are just now blooming, the bee's are flying and hopefully bringing in nectar.

Well, that's not going to help me one bit!!

Do you harvest them green or do you wait for them to dry? Also, don't deer get into them? (If you need me to get the deer out of your pea patch, you know how to find me )

I didn't see bees on them ever. Wasps were around them alot, but I'm not sure whether they were pollinating or catching pests. I have a martin house that is inside the garden, and I had bluebirds move in and lots of ladybugs. They kept the bugs under control for most of the summer. The wasps were helping later in the year.

My bees are all doing really well, and got a decent honey crop.

Neil,
    There are several different types of pea shellers, google: pea shellers, some of them are not very expensive.
    The "Purple Hull Cow Pea" seems to be a good choice of the pea shellers. I did not see crowders.

I always let them dry on the vine and they shell out great. Or you could cut the whole plant and hang them to dry when the pods are fully developed.

I doubt if they will hybridize much. They should work for seed if they were not a hybrid in the first place. Some plants are bred for a one shot deal, the seeds they make will not germinate the next year for some reason. For that matter, I always buy most of my seed each year. I save seed from flowers, veggies I buy the seed.