Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: I would like to be a Commercial Beekeeper

My first time into the bee business I bought in with loans and when a bump in the road come I could not make the payments. This time I am pay as I go. So first I would say, stay out of debt. What a great resource to have your boys. I had two teenage sons helping me back then. It was hard work but we had fun, also after working in the bee yard or extracting honey all day they did not play on the computer much, they just wanted to get to sleep. I know a beekeeper with 4 teenage sons. He was migratory operating without a forklift or large truck. I went with them to move bees one night, well, I was in the way, each son and dad had a hand truck, they were all racing each other loading the gooseneck trailer up a ramp and double staking the hives. It was no time and there were 150 double story hives loaded!

I like Jim Lyon’s idea; all beekeeping is local so emulate a successful local beekeeper. And loggermike; by the time they are gone you will have your trucks and forklifts.

Yes a lot of hand labor can make up for a lack of moving equipment. Though if I had to do it over again I would have got a forklift earlier on.You will use it every day , loading all kinds of stuff, not just moving bees.

And I would have jumped in full time sooner, rather than carrying on a sideline.But with a large family to raise, and low honey and pollination prices for many years, it seemed impossible. You can only grow your business as fast as funds are available.

Ya thanks for the support

??

You're welcome. I agree w/ loggermike. There have been a lot of tough descisions made these last 20 years.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12