Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Feeding candy boards or cooked sugar bricks in winter

Please list if known exact "best" way to make the bricks without worrying about caramelizing the sugar? Thanks Marvin

Candy
    Mix 4 lbs sugar with 2 cups of water and 1 tblspoon of apple cider vinegar. Bring to boil at around 220-238 degrees (soft ball). When boiling, stir continuously. Mixture will get milky and foam up, then will turn clear and foam will stop when it reaches the candy point. (If mixture turns brown, throw it out!) Remove from heat and stir in 1-2 cups pollen substitute and lemongrass oil (10 drops). Mix with blender until white and creamy. Pour into mold. Makes two large bricks. Caution -Burned sugar will kill bees!
    NM desert/mountain beekeeper - Black Mesa Honeybees.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul McCarty View Post
    I use sugar bricks - no problems here. I add pollen sub to them as they cool too. I prefer the bricks to candy boards or dry sugar. Dry sugar is a mess to clean in Spring.

The good thing about feeding them sugar bricks is that the bees have to chew and lick them - thereby making them work and preventing laziness
    If you put a piece of 1/2 x 1 or 1/2 x 1/2 hardware cloth under the newspaper and sugar you can remove and replace the sugar any time you want to once it hardens up.
    5Y-25H-T-Z6b

Paul,
    Thank you for the detailed sugar brick making recipe. I will give it a try & store them until I need them. I am assuming in my area that I won't need to add them to the hives until mid to late December.
    Marvin

The temps may be off a bit as I am quite high up around 7500'. You will be able to tell by watching the liquid go clear.
    NM desert/mountain beekeeper - Black Mesa Honeybees.

Quote Originally Posted by mbwalton View Post
    Please list if known exact "best" way to make the bricks without worrying about caramelizing the sugar? Thanks Marvin
    Hi Marvin, go to this site, they show pics and step by step making of the candy board....very informative...I am doing this for my hives this winter...www.beverlybees.com

I used to make "soft-ball" candy, but being lazy I started mixing as much sugar into 1 cup of water as I could, and have all wet sugar. About 8-10 cups of sugar will go into one cup of water. I also add 1 TBSP of apple cider vinegar. This winter I will put this stuff into a 2-1/2 inch deep frame (1X3 at home depot) with 1/2 inch hardware cloth on the bottom with a piece of paper towel to put the sugar on. Set that in a cool dry place for 2-3 days, and it will be a brick. I will also add a pollen patty or 2 with the sugar. The bees will chew through the paper towel and get to the sugar and patty.

As far as making the bees lazy, I have found that in a dearth the bees do get "lazy".

Phil

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12