Default Trap out started today in Polk City, FL - 9-21-13 (video)

Not fun having to seal-up stuff that's obstructed by a/c units and pipes, but not that big of a deal over all.

We'll see the results in a month:

Last edited by PatBeek; 09-21-2013 at 09:35 PM.
    www.savebeesflorida.com (Honeybee removals and top bar hives)

Default Re: Trap out started today in Polk City, FL - 9-21-13 (video)

So, how does that work? All that go in to the box are foragers correct? No nurse bees to raise brood or convert a larvae to a queen? What about all of the comb, nurse bees and the brood in the wall, they just starve out and abscond?

Quote Originally Posted by Crsswift70 View Post
    So, how does that work? All that go in to the box are foragers correct? No nurse bees to raise brood or convert a larvae to a queen? What about all of the comb, nurse bees and the brood in the wall, they just starve out and abscond?
    Well, its my theory that bees do what they have to do under certain circumstances. At first, I believe many of the foragers who are already out and come out soon will take-on double-duty as nurse bees AND foragers. I could be wrong about that, but doubt it. But eventually, the nurse bees start piling out of the wall and more brood hatches in the wall and comes out. Sometimes even the queen comes out. I have had that happen before.

Regarding the comb/brood/honey that gets left behind, my take on that is this:

Most of the brood will probably hatch and come out. I doubt the queen keeps laying eggs once a lot of the nurse bees' population drops significantly. So there shouldn't be too much rotting brood left in there, but again, I could be wrong.

Empty comb isn't that big of a deal.

Regarding honey, now there IS a trick that old-timers use, and that's to let the bees rob it all out once they have taken up permanent residence in the new hive, with queen laying and brood/eggs a-plenty. They will NOT take up residence in the old hive once the tide has turned with the new hive. So, at that point, you take the trap off the wall and let the bees go back inside and rob out all the stores.

Here's a video by an old pro who explains the whole process. This video is a masterpiece, by the way:

www.savebeesflorida.com (Honeybee removals and top bar hives)

Thanks so much for the cone building video. I have muddled through a few and wasted too much screen and time--this is great.
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF