Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: cutout comb orientation

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful View Post
    I hadn't noticed that. The picture has so much glare in it, I just assumed it was glare. I wished I had more experience inspecting. I wish I had someone close to teach me.
    Check to see where your closest Bee Association or Club is and try to connect with them. Read, read and did I mention read, all you can on the subject. This site has tons of support, here is the USDA info on this site; http://www.beesource.com/resources/usda/

Just remember the Bees have been doing this much longer than we've been manipulating them. Good Luck...

I remembered that most of the frames I looked at had uncapped honey, so I looked at another picture I have of that frame, and I think those white spots are the sun's glare on the honey in the cells. I would like to take another look, but the high is in the 50's here today.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeThere View Post
    Check to see where your closest Bee Association or Club is and try to connect with them. Read, read and did I mention read, all you can on the subject. This site has tons of support, here is the USDA info on this site; http://www.beesource.com/resources/usda/
    Thanks for the link. This site has a lot of information.
    I haven't found a bee association closer that four hours from me. If there was one close, I would be there. There are no beekeepers in my county, but I am still searching for someone within an hour of me.
    Last edited by hopeful; 10-15-2013 at 09:01 AM. Reason: add text

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful View Post
    Here is the best close up I have of the brood.
    Attachment 7956
    Okay, if you say its a glimmering shine from honey, but if you count from the bottom left full shaped cells try looking at this one. Look five to the right and its capped then look at the next one, now to me that don't look like honey shine. Eggs are easier to see in dark colored comb than lighter comb for sure. But remember I said my eyes are poorly...good luck!

It does look like an egg. I wish I had taken some video. I will have to do a better job inspecting and documenting next time. Every time I take my bee suit off I think of something I wish I had done.

Every time I checked the hive sine then, I only found drone brood. They were still alive but weak (only 3 frames of bees) in June. I needed the hardware for another cutout, so I dumped them out. They clustered up in a woodpile, but after a few days they were gone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12