Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Swarm Trap Size Opinions Wanted.

Josiah -

Another option is to make a tray to attach to the under side of the Medium super to get the internal volume you are looking for. I used this online volume calculator to determine I needed about 4 additional inches onto a medium 8 frame super to hit an internal volume of around 40 liters (Use the top one, volume of a box):

http://dmplastics.ca/volume_calculator.htm

Here is a picture of a swarm moving into one of my traps.

IMG_20130602_131839_758.jpg

I caught nine swarms this season, all but one was in an 8 frame medium super with a 4 inch tray attached to the bottom.

Good Luck.

I continue to suggest not making custom swarm traps, just use your normal brood chambers. The bees are not calculating 40 liters. Just use a second medium. No time, materials or money wasted.

Understood OD. I had scrap wood laying around and all the trays cost me was some time. I'm a small hobby beekeeper and do not have tons of extra equipment laying around. For me, building some trays seemed like a better option than stacking two mediums - allowed me to double the number of traps deployed and attract larger swarms. I'm using all 8 frame medium equipment - no deeps at all. Was just relaying an option that worked well for me. That being said, I probably will make up a few using 3/4 inch ply with entrance dado cut into the bottom for next spring as you have shown.

Have the guys in the PA. area seen much wax moth problems , it seems like there is alot of mixed ideas on using old comb to help lure in swarms , seems like it would attract the bee's more but not if it is invested with wax moth .
    Second Year 4 Hives T USDA Zone 5b

I spray my dark brood bait comb with BtA (Bacillus thuringiensis aizawai) to protect against wax moth damage.

I bought mine from Sundance in the for sale forum a couple years ago, but he does not seem to be offering it anymore.

Where to get the powder, and what you are looking for was recently discussed towards the bottom of this thread -

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...96#post1059696

You will find a link to Amazon - Michael Bush indicated that it was available around Christmas, but is showing out of stock now. Good to have on hand for storage of extracted frames over the winter too.

PAHunter62

No experience other than our bee school.

The recommendations so far: Always have a couple of nuc boxes so you can capture swarms.

Followed shortly with the exchange between one of the old-timers and the instructor: "Have you ever actually seen bees go into a trap hive?" "Ah, no."

Evidently the most successful piece of equipment is a 5-gallon plastic bucket. Whatever woodenware you like after that point. I'm told this is great fun.

PA hunter , with your medium and the tray are you using medium or deep frames , I like the idea because you can get away with alot less frames .
    Second Year 4 Hives T USDA Zone 5b

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12