Default Solar fence chargers

The black bear population is on the increase in my area, so I am considering a fence on at least one of my yards.

There is no source of electricity at that yard, so I will have to use a solar charger. Anyone have a unit that they would recommend?

I have heard that at least one joule is require, but the ads seem to specify a number of miles range rather than joules of output. When joules are listed, it is generally less than one in the solar units. Is there a correlation between joules and miles of range?
    Like us on facebook This is the place to bee!
    Ralph

Default Re: Solar fence chargers

http://www.amazon.com/Parmak-DF-SP-L...+fence+charger

This is the best one out there, and it will light up ANYTHING that touches it.
    John Sampson-Tucker County, WV
    14 hives - All cutouts and swarms

Quote Originally Posted by Cub View Post
    I never buy on price alone, and hate cheap stuff, but I do not know if I need the best either. Is this about the price range I should expect to be in?
    Ralph

Go to your LOCAL farm supply and talk to them. They will know what works best in your area. I would add (the hotter the better) and build a good fence.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot Owl Lane Bees View Post
    Go to your LOCAL farm supply and talk to them. They will know what works best in your area. I would add (the hotter the better) and build a good fence.
    Maybe they would know, maybe not, but either way I'm not sure I want to rely on the advice of someone looking to make a sale.
    Ralph

Deleted, double post
    Ralph

Ignore mileage ratings as an indicator of power.
    A joule is an actual unit of energy measurement.

I've seen one company advertise a 25 mile rating for their AC fence energizer, but when it was solar powered, they figured 1/2 joule would power 25 miles of fence...fence rating is whatever they want it to be.

I'm presently using a 1 joule unit. there are often bears sighted around the yard, but they've not bothered the hives inside the fence.

I'm planning the fencing for a much larger yard, and intend to use a much more powerful energizer, both because the fence will be much longer, and it is more likely that the fence line will have more grass/weed growth due to a(likely) longer period btw fence inspection/maint walks.

For a yard that's not oversized, and not likely to see potential neglect where maint. is concerned, a 1-2 joule fence should serve well, so long as it is properly grounded.

I recommend this solar charger; I have used one for 3 years now and am very happy with it. Also Premier1 is a great company to work with.
    http://www.premier1supplies.com/deta...616&cat_id=171

The solar charger I like best is a Parmak Magnum 12. I have several yards protected by solar energizers and the Parmak has worked without issue - though I think I will replace the battery sometime before the upcoming winter #3. Yes I leave the fence on year round and it does get shorted out by snow but it is working when I need it come spring.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dewey View Post
    The solar charger I like best is a Parmak Magnum 12. I have several yards protected by solar energizers and the Parmak has worked without issue - though I think I will replace the battery sometime before the upcoming winter #3. Yes I leave the fence on year round and it does get shorted out by snow but it is working when I need it come spring.
    IMHO if you want one that works well you will buy a Parmak Magnum 12 I have known a lot of beekeepers who use this unit and like it very well and yes I have used this now. All the other I have tried IMHO are junk I would've been better off to buy this one 1st it would have been cheaper.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134
    Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA.
    http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Jim 134 View Post
    IMHO if you want one that works well you will buy a Parmak Magnum 12 I have known a lot of beekeepers who use this unit and like it very well and yes I have used this now. All the other I have tried IMHO are junk I would've been better off to buy this one 1st it would have been cheaper.
    BEE HAPPY Jim 134
    Only problem is when they quit working. Sent one in on warranty and it took 4 weeks for them to repair it and return it. They must not have many workers in their factory. Awful expensive to have a spare. Running 4 yards I have enough invested in chargers.

I agree , the parmack 12 is the one to go with . I was wondering about winter use , is it necessary , might be a good idea .

Honey Hive Farms,

The Parmack 12 is ok...

Tim Moore
    Honey Hive Farms "Saving the world one bee at a time"
    www.HoneyHiveFarms.com

My Parmak magnum 12 HURTS !!!! I have not had any bear problems in my yard and we live in bear country.