Hybrid View

Default Which plants/trees give nectar latest into fall and how late in your areas

I've got 20 acres of playground that I made into a wildlife habitat years ago. I can still squeeze in some trees/plants but would like to concentrate on the fall nectar harvest. Any ideas? Thank you, Mark

Default Re: Which plants/trees give nectar latest into fall and how late in your areas

Showy goldenrod is one of the latest in my area, as well as a number of the asters (New England aster, New York aster, etc, etc)

Default Re: Which plants/trees give nectar latest into fall and how late in your areas

The heaviest aster flow I ever saw was after a pretty hard freeze that killed almost every other plant. It often nestles pretty low in the grass which, I assume, affords it some protection.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

The bees are still collecting nectar from something but I don't see them on my goldenrod or asters. Maybe it's still too early---maybe I have the wrong type of goldenrod or asters. Other pollinators are all over them.

Besides asters and goldenrod, what else are the bees getting nectar from this time of year? I only have two hives so maybe they are on the asters and goldenrod but there are other hives in the area and I don't see them at my place. Thank you, Mark

Ours are working Asters, Sagebrush, Sainfoin, and Rabbit brush.
    Dave

Stonecrop

We have a lot of broomweed blooming right now. It usually blooms until the first frost. I have read that bees use it, but I haven't seen any on it.