Default swarm call, too late

Got a call last night for a swarm. I'm told the bees showed up around 3pm; I got the call close to 7pm. By the time I got there, a fist sized clump of bees was outside the base of a single wide trailer and the bees were audible in the flooring. I brushed the exposed bees into a NUC with drawn comb, and some honey drizzled inside the NUC. Impending weather convinced me to leave the NUC and come back in a couple hours. The bees continued into the flooring of the trailer, ignoring the NUC. When I returned there were maybe two bees in the NUC, the honey was ignored. Because of the location (trailer is on a school campus) the bees are going to get sprayed this morning, so I can't go back and trap out, it was a now or never attempt.

Shy of banging pots and pans together and chanting in circles- could I have tried anything more convincing to get the bees to change their mind, and take to the NUC box rather than the flooring?
    My wife says I have ADD, but, hey look- a chicken!

Default Re: swarm call, too late

I don't know if this would have worked for you--but twice I got bees out of cinder block wall of garages by using smoke and banging on the wall. First time was at my son's house and the bees had moved in a day or two before I did this. There was only one opening into the wall on both occasions. Lots of smoke and banging on the wall.

First time, they all came out at one time and swarmed and clustered into a bush 15 feet away. I clipped the branch and put it into a hive and took them home. I had to retrieve them once more after I got home. They became one of my best hives which I still have.

Second time, they flew all over the place and as it got dark I plugged hole and left a nuk with drawn frame next to wall. Next day I went and put a one way cone and left box, not expecting ever to get bees from it. The homeowner (co-worker) told me a week later there are bees in the box so I went for them. No queen but they'd drawn out another frame. Took them home and combined with another hive.

I think the one entrance was key in both these situations. Not sure if it'd work in a trailer. They really disliked the banging on the wall.
    "Rule Three of beekeeping...Never cease to feel wonder" Laurie R. King--
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF

Yes, I have read that drumming will work on a new swarm, you will nead to place the nuck or box above them and has to be closed on top .

ps, the second time I did this the bees had just finished moving in.
    "Rule Three of beekeeping...Never cease to feel wonder" Laurie R. King--
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF

I smoked em hard, and felt like I stopped just shy of setting an interior smoke alarm off, lol. Thanks for the advice on hitting the walls
    My wife says I have ADD, but, hey look- a chicken!

My first swarm call this spring was a swarm that had JUST moved into a catalpa tree. The owners saw it come in while drinking coffee on the porch. Smoked heavily for 20 minutes nearly constantly. Had to refill the smoker 2-3 times. They were forced back out where I was able to get them sucked up in bee vac (I was 25' up a ladder and wasn't in the mood for brushing, scooping,etc.)