Thread: kubota tractor

Hybrid View

Default kubota tractor

I am looking to get a Kubota Tractor L3800 HST with a loader on it with quick attach for Forks tires loaded with Cal. I haven't gone to look at it yet , they are 23,400 +tx with leasing options.

Do any of you have experience in using tractors for moving 4 way pallets ?

Is this going to be a bouncy thing ? The Kubota guys tell me if I lock the cruise on in low gear , it will crawl along and I won't have the jerky movements when going over rough terrain.

Thanks
    Ben L
    Ben Little <The Little Bee Farm> https://www.facebook.com/TheLittleBeeFarm
    Nova Scotia Canada

Default Re: kubota tractor

The cruise is just a manual lever, not good for much and dangerous on the road as it doesn't disengage when you hit the brakes.
    As far as bouncy, I think anything will be bouncy, so going slow, in low gear is the way to go. Tractors down really have any suspension system so they can handle very large loads, but that makes them bouncy. I feel like I’ve been riding a bull all day when I spend all day on one. If you have any other use for a tractor, like bush hogging or tilling, it’s what I would get. I have a 3400 and the front end loader is one of the greatest tool on the planet!

Plowing snow is my other main reason .
    Ben Little <The Little Bee Farm> https://www.facebook.com/TheLittleBeeFarm
    Nova Scotia Canada

Fabricate a good set of forks for the rear and I think you will be very happy with the set-up.
    As for speed, you will find out with use just how fast or slow you must travel.
    Don't get the idea that you need to poke along. Usually the speed seems just about right.

For bees, I almost always use a forklift. But there are rare times that NOTHING is better for moving bees than a tractor.
    Good luck with your new tractor!!

I have exactly ONE hive more than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond question.

I'm not sure if the new emissions regulations are jacking up prices that much -- and I see that you are in Canada -- but last year I bought an L3540 HST with LA724 loader, loaded R4 tires, quick attach, heavy duty bucket, free delivery, and 50 hour service for just over $23k. I'm in MO, USA, where prices are usually low. If there's any way you can scoot across the border into the states, you might find a better deal. I know that area of the U.S. typically has higher prices as well, but that sounds crazy for an L3800. You might check a quote from Messick Equipment in PA. I recommend joining www.tractorbynet.com. I'm a member there and it is an amazing forum with many helpful members.

With HST you will have complete control over ground speed. HST is amazing for loader work. You can go as slowly as you like, so bouncing won't be a problem. Loaded tires will help against bouncing.

I see from your facebook page that there is an old tractor with loader in the background, so maybe you already have experience in this area. If so, I don't mean to sound condescending!

I would say that the poster above had a rare lemon of a HST transmission, or perhaps not a HST at all since you don't "shift" with a HST. Go try them out for yourself and decide. I traded tractors in order to get a HST precisely because I wanted silky smooth control of the tractor, and every tractor with HST I tried was buttery smooth. Also, I've never seen a Kubota (or any other tractor) with "backwards" controls.

If you want something smooth DO NOT buy the L3800 HST, in fact DO NOT buy anything with a hydrostatic transmission they shift so herky jerky the exact opposite of smooth. The last farm I worked at we had a Kubota with the HST; What a piece of garbage, and it wasn't used when we bought it. In my opinion they are just plain poorly engineered, we had alot of problems with them; and the controls are backwards from the factory. My opinion: buy something used. You couldn't make me own a Kubota; if one was given to me I would sell it to purchase something different. Just my experience and my $0.02. not sure if this helps at all.

Oh and the work around for using the manual RPM lever for travel is using the brake and the clutch in precarious situations.

Sys

I own one, You couldn't take it away from me in a fight. NOTHING is better than the HST. Smooth, easy to use with a simple pedal, go from forward to reverse by simply moving my foot from the front to the back of the pedal. You may have had a bad one, but Kubota is the finest small tractor on the market. I only wish I had two....

Harry, I sent you a PM about your rear 3 point forks a while ago.
    Can you take a couple of photos of the set up for me?
    I would like to make a set.

How about post some pictures of the 3 point forks on this thread. I'd like to see them too.

The R series kubotas are hard to find and more than a hummer bee new , so I went with something more universal .

I will post some pictures whenever I get it

ya, those would fetch a higher price, you will be happy with your choice.
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com