Question what is most important ?

Hi , I am conflicted at the moment . I don't know what direction to go with our Bee Farm, We need some major expensive stuff , and I don't want to get all of it at once.
    I will need a loader for palletized hives and a Trailer for bees, and a honey house , plus some other equipment for processing wax / honey , also more Hive equipment too.

So I know unless I win the lottery , it can't happen all at once.

What is a priority for a bee farm going into pollination ?

P.S. I will be getting about 100 NZ Package bees next year too.

Thanks
    Ben L
    Ben Little <The Little Bee Farm> https://www.facebook.com/TheLittleBeeFarm
    Nova Scotia Canada

Default Re: what is most important ?

Pollination service is based on moving bees, so I'd say something too move hives is priority.

In agree with Ian that pollination is based on moving bees... so the priority is getting bees. They generate the cash, not the trucks. Get bees, more bees and if you can even more. Personally I would stay away from New Zealand or Australian packages.

Jean-Marc

My NZ packages out performed all else this year in my operation. Winter is to come yet...

My Australian Packages did okay , I just didn't like trying to equalize them and some were a little mean.

I have heard good things about the NZ ones.

Ben
    Nova Scotia Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    My NZ packages out performed all else this year in my operation. Winter is to come yet...
    As you say you have 100 NZ packages coming then top of the list after that surely is hives made and ready to receive them, if yours do as well as Ians then you will need lots of honey supers as well

Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Did you replace your queens Ian ? You like the Cali Queens if I remember correctly ? But my memory is bad LOL

Yeah I have started buying up bunches of lumber for the increase. I will be busy building over winter , I hate being in a rush , so I will pick at it really soon so I don't overwhelm myself with things to do like I did all year so far HA !

I am looking for a simple pallet design that will have an integrated BB . trying to keep it light as possible without sacrificing strength and durability.
    Plus I will be going with a common cover too.

Ben
    Nova Scotia Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Little View Post
    Did you replace your queens Ian ? You like the Cali Queens if I remember correctly ? But my memory is bad LOL
    your memory is pretty good if you remembered that! No I did not get around to requeening those packages as I had planned because of a sudden health issue that took me out for two weeks. Im glad that I kept these queens going , as they produced me well over 200 lbs per hive this season, but as I had experienced before, they do not winter very well, so I am ready to replace them next spring
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Plus I will be going with a common cover too. Ben
    If you mean a cover that will cover all four hives, how do you see that working? You'd have to make suyre all four are always the same hiegth.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

I have seen a few commercial Beeks using a common cover and they just put it on and super as needed , if there is a hive struggling , it just gets no box . I don't know if it is a good idea, but I guess it works for them.
    I suppose an empty super could be put on and the inner cover be below the empty ?
    Is it not a common practice to use common covers anymore ? It would save time for me , not having to build individual covers .
    Nova Scotia Canada

I have hives on the same pallet that are all different heigth from each other. I don't have enough equipment to make a common cover work. I bet the ones you saw also had individual covers.

I met a guy from Australia one time. They have the honeybadger there. So they do have a telescoping cover which covers all four hives on the pallet. It's also held down somehow.

Hi , I am conflicted at the moment . I don't know what direction to go with our Bee Farm, We need some major expensive stuff , and I don't want to get all of it at once.
    I will need a loader for palletized hives and a Trailer for bees, and a honey house , plus some other equipment for processing wax / honey , also more Hive equipment too.

So I know unless I win the lottery , it can't happen all at once.

What is a priority for a bee farm going into pollination ?

P.S. I will be getting about 100 NZ Package bees next year too.

Thanks
    Ben L
    I know that feeling well Ben when you start everything seems manageable then it seems that very suddenly you need so much extra space for kit, storage, honeyroom, more kit, and the list goes on, I have just put in plans, as we do in the UK for permission to build a honeyhouse, not on the scale of Ians but thats one more step in the right direction, honey rooms over here have to be block built to keep vermin out (part of the regs) that will eat up some cash and not the biggest honey crop this year as I have spent the summer making good last years losses.
    kev

Some are using a large tar shingle that covers the top of the hive and some are just a piece of plywood (like an inner cover) and nothing on the top and then the common cover sits on top of whatever is there.
    I haven't used this , but it seems to work for them.

Ben
    Nova Scotia Canada

All of my hives have a piece of plywood cut to fit the top of the hive. That's about the simplest migratory cover there is. I do have some w/ a sheet of canvas underneath. a friend of mine uses tarpaper under the plywood cover.

If it works for you it works for you. I think it would be easier on your pocketbook to not go the route of the common cover. That's a choice you will have to make, of course.